Candling Guinea & Turkey eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickie_mama, May 7, 2009.

1. chickie_mama

chickie_mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Lula, GA
    Hmmm..... I candled my 10 guinea eggs and my 4 turkey eggs last night. Last night was day 6. I couldn't tell anything. I know I should probably wait a several more days before making a decision.

What has been the experience of you guys? Do guinea and turkey eggs take longer before you can see any development?

Thanks!

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I just now have my first turkey eggs in the bator, and it was last fall the last time I set any guinea eggs! But, you should be able to see something, provided you have a strong enough light. Guinea eggs are usually pretty dark, and turkey eggs have all those spots, so if your light isn't very strong it would be hard to see anything. Just don't toss any until at least day 14, by then you should know for sure if they are developing.

3. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

We usually wait for 14 days to candle. That would be when we candle. [​IMG] Normally we just put the eggs in the 'bator and cya on the stop turning day, I think it's better to keep the door closed as much as possible. Then we do a "sniff test" every day, you can smell an egg going bad before it explodes.

Steve in NC

4. grandmaof3

grandmaof3 New Egg

Mar 20, 2009
    OK
    My guineas are at day 11 and I still can't see anything either. I had given some of the eggs to my neighbor a few days earlier they are at day 14 and she can't see anything. I think my rooster is shooting blanks. Might be why is so mean, he has a complex mixed with a whole lote of attitude!! He is a year old and the hens are about 7 months shouldn't the eggs be fertile? Do I need to provide something special for them. This year with their help the plan was to have a flock of guineas running around.(I don't like snakes)

5. chickie_mama

Jul 29, 2008
    Lula, GA
    SNAKES???? Guineas keep the snakes away???? WOOHOO!!!! Yet another reason to have guineas around! I am terrified of snakes!

6. ChickenTender63

ChickenTender63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Alamance, NC
    I just set a batch of guinnea eggs last Thursday and I candled last night to see if I could see anything. I candled before I set them and they were all very clear. When I candled last night, all of them had dark spots in them which I presume is the developing keet. I didn't see any veining, but there was a big difference from when I first set them.

Good luck, and I hope they do hatch for you!

7. chickie_mama

Jul 29, 2008
    Lula, GA
    ChickenTender, looks like we are on the same time frame. Mine were set last Thursday as well. I did not candle before I set. I should have. Keep me updated on the progress of your eggs.

8. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Quote:I have seen ours chase snakes quite a few times, they will follow them and chatter and make all kinds of noise.

Steve in NC

9. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:It's a good idea to candle any eggs before setting them, just to make sure they don't have cracks, if nothing else. But you can tell on eggs if they are developing, even before you can see veining. The inside of the egg starts looking different. On chicken eggs, it's almost like the inside of the egg near the pointy end gets thicker? It's hard to explain, but there is definitely a change to the inside of the egg!

10. ChickenTender63

ChickenTender63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Alamance, NC
    Quote:I sure will. This is the first batch of guineas that I have tried to set. I figured it would take a few extra days to see anything because of the longer incubation time, but I swear I see them developing just like chicken eggs do. I was actually surprised that I saw something so early.

Hopefully you will have a good batch as well.

Last edited: May 7, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by