1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Candling help--day 7

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by abooth, Oct 2, 2009.

1. abooth

abooth Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi everyone. I candled my eggs today ( day 7 ). In some of them it was plain to see they were doing well, some were moving, good veins etc. But in more than a few all I could make out was a large "shadow". Is this good or bad. Three eggs looked blank or clear so I pulled them ouy and opened them. I was right--nothing was happening in there. Any one know what the shadow I am seeeing is? Thanks guys!

2. hunter1hall

hunter1hall Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2009
    Mackville, Kentucky
    As long as you dont see a blood ring or clear eggs, you should be good to go. I always put the ones I know are doing well in one area and the questionable ones in another after I candle them the first time. I am by no means an expert on the subject, but I would bet they are worth waiting

3. farrier!

farrier! Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    I mark and wait until day 10 or later to pull.
    When I do more batches I might be pulling sooner but hate to throw away a good one.
    I am throwing them away sooner and so far I have avoided any leakers or explosions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by