CANDLING help?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mvarty, Apr 25, 2009.

1. mvarty

mvarty New Egg

Apr 25, 2009
    I was told I could find a how to on here about candling for fertil eggs..but I've been lookin...? I have bb reds that wont hatch any of their eggs, in the bator, or under the hen...so I guess the next step is to candle...and I don't know how to do so.

2. sebright guy

sebright guy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2009
    take a flashlight and turn the light off in the room. hold the egg up to the flashlight and you should see veins if it is fertile after about 7 days. after that the egg will become darker and you may be able to see it move. at day 14 do not candle.

3. mvarty

mvarty New Egg

Apr 25, 2009
    Thanks, at 14 days do not candle? Im not sure how many days any of the eggs shes sitting on are...will it harm a fertil egg if it is candled?

4. chiknhut

chiknhut Chillin' With My Peeps

I hold the flashlight on top of the egg shining down the egg. I learned in the beginning it was more to see that way. Also, cup the egg in your hand. I don't candle until day 10 and then day 18 right before I put them in the hatcher. You can candle in between those days I just don't unless I have some that I wasn't for sure about on day 10.

5. sebright guy

Apr 14, 2009
    we read some place that your not supposed to candle after the 14 day and really ther is no need to if you now its fertile. and if you have her under a broody hen. it wont harm to candle once to see if they are fertile just to make sure you dont get a rotten egg. then just wait and check her to see if they will hatch.

6. mvarty

mvarty New Egg

Apr 25, 2009
    Okay, so I took a chance and candled all 6 shes been sitting on, and all I can clearly see is a big air pocket.....!???? My lights not the brightest, but whats an air pocket mean?

7. sebright guy

Apr 14, 2009
    you hafta see veins. also. the air pocket stays and gets smaller. mabye check them in a few more days. if there is nothing they may not be fertile.

8. newbiecaroline

newbiecaroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2008
    Alberta

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by