candling issues..

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by nbhatcher, Oct 1, 2012.

1. nbhatcher

nbhatcher Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2012
    so as I mentionned in my first post, i have 18 couturnix eggs in my incubator. didn't know too much about candling at the beginning and did not check them when first received.

I tried a few times at day 7-9, but could not see anything at all. can't see through the shell I mean..I am just using a flashlight in my hand.. but checked tonight and was able to see into 2 of them. 1 looks almost see-through with what looks like a yolk in it, it just floats at the top of the egg as I turn it and I see nothing else.. . the other one has a dark mass that is about half the size of the egg and I can see an air pocket at the large end. but nothing is moving...

I think i should remove the clear one for sure, but being my first time, I am hesitant to take it out just in case I am looking at it wrong. I am on day 12 so there should be more development by now right?

as for the rest, I can't see through the shell at all.. I tried to make a candler, but it didn't seem to help with the daker ones.. just can't see inside.

advice?

2. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    It does sound like that first egg you mentioned isn't developing. Anyways, any time I have eggs I'm unsure about I leave them in (as long as they're not seeping and don't have a bad odor) until the next time I candle. Good luck with your hatch :thumbsup

3. nbhatcher

Oct 1, 2012
    thanks, weimarmama

no seeping and no odor at all so far, but I'll keep my eye/nose on it.

I also read today that you should candle fom the round end of the egg?? I was doing it sideways. I'll try again tonight to see if I can get a better look.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Quail eggs are small but highly pigmented. By day 12, it's probably pretty safe to remove any clear eggs, but you've got less than a week before you'll know for sure. I find on quail eggs, didn't matter which end because they were so tiny. However, I do find it much more helpful to shine light through the aircell on larger chicken eggs.

5. nbhatcher

Oct 1, 2012
    Ok, so I candled everything again last night and found 3 out of 18 that were clear. no air sack at the round end and only a small yolk looking thing that was free floating around when I turned the egg. I got rid of them.

I now have 15 that I think are good. dark mass filling most of the egg and a good size air sac at the round end. Can't see anything moving though.

One thing I found interesting though is that the air pockets are not all the same size.. is this normal?

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Air cells aren't going to be exact, but should be about the same. For chicken eggs at least, and probably applies to quail, about 10%ish of the egg's inital mass should be lost throughout incubation. Some of the eggs may have larger air cells due to being older before put in, or due to a slightly thinner shell that allows more water escape.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by