Candling Marans Eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by newfromMN, Apr 20, 2009.

1. newfromMN

newfromMN Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2009
    Minnesota
    Can anyone tell me what to look for on day 12? They are so dark and what I think I see is an air sac with a dark spot about an inch long and then the rest of the egg is clear. I am using a mag lite and don't see movement or veins like with the other eggs that aren't so dark. I am new to this and am doing it for fun with kids. Thanks.

2. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    Get a nice soft pillow and put the egg carefully in the center of the pillow. This will only work with soft lighting and lots of chanting by the entire family holding hands. Attach a ring to a small chain or string and if sways ..... naw that isnt going to work

These eggs are tough even after you have done it for a long time. Get in a very very dark room use the best light you have and focus. You may see movement and if the light is really good you could see the most faint outline of a vein.

Bottom line if you cant tell dont give up. These eggs can be very difficult.

3. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    LOL! Good luck! I finally gave up trying to candle my Maran eggs and just waited it out. I have a very strong LED light as well....

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I'm wondering how I'm going to do that as well. I am going to be getting Marans eggs and have wondered myself how the heck i'm going to see inside them LOL I'm going to try the box trick I think.

5. msrma7670

msrma7670 Chillin' With My Peeps

I prefer the chanting method my self and invite friends!!!![​IMG]

6. KYBOY

KYBOY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Eastern,Kentucky
    I usually wait until day 18 before I chuck any bad ones..By then the entire egg will be a dark mass if its good..Candling maran eggs is hard..i just tried to candle some blue copper marans eggs at day 7 a few minutes ago...Not much luck [​IMG]

7. newfromMN

newfromMN Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2009
    Minnesota
    I'll start chanting, maybe throw in a good luck dance of some kind. I'm sure my 2 & 4 year old will appreciate my good humor. It's killing me to wait!!!!

8. msrma7670

msrma7670 Chillin' With My Peeps

DONT FORGET TO ADD DRY ICE TO H2O BEFORE YOU START CHANTING WHEN THE KIDS AINT LOOKING;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by