Candling Marathon: Sore back, fried brain, freaked eyes...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jmc, Nov 28, 2011.

1. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    I am also a bit discouraged.

I have just candled--or tried to candle--44 eggs in my two brinsea oct. eco.

THIS IS DAY 7

During the 22 from the first bator, all went well. One clear easily detected, and one blood ring.

But in the second unit, as my back became more tired, eyes a bit freaked and mind a bit more fried, it became harder to tell the fertilized ones. I could only see veining in a few of them; i found one more clear; but there were so many I just couldn't tell anymore if I was seeing veins or 'the right thing.'

Candler is an LED with 9 diodes.

Eggs are light to med brown

In a whole lot from the second bator i could see the air cell and a lot of 'dark'--more than it seems one should see at day 7. my eyes got so fried i couldn't tell if i was seeing veins coming from the 'dark' or what. It definitely wasn't ALL dark away from the air cell, there was plenty of 'clearish'.

I just can't imagine i have that many eggs in one bator filled with bacteria! This is a clean unit--only used once, washed and disinfected twice before i set these eggs!

Now i am wondering if I am gonna have a bunch of exploding eggs on my hands.

I don't know if any of you can even understand what i am saying here............

I am kinda bummed; i really don't know what is happening with a bunch of these eggs.

Maybe i need a stronger light?.....................Maybe I'll get an ovascope from Brinsea.................

You experienced folks have any thoughts?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

YES, I KNOW ALL ABOUT THE CANDLING THREAD AND ALL THOSE GREAT PICS INCLUDED.....................

2. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    I'm having the same problem. [​IMG]

A bit discourage because I can't really see much. I broke down and candled 7 of my 13 eggs and it's day 5. I guess I was expecting more. [​IMG]

3. babymakes6

babymakes6 Gifted

Feb 24, 2009
    far west Ohio
    Quote:FIRST OFF-Don't stress!!! DO NOT throw out any eggs until you smell something bad. Believe me, you will know if one goes bad!
    Now, wait a couple more days and candle again-but only one incubator at a time! Trust me, it is an awful feeling to toss an egg you thought was dead/not developing/clear and realize that you just killed a live baby! [​IMG] I don't usually even candle until day 14, simply because I have been wrong-usually with very important eggs.

4. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Me, too.

I don't candle till AFTER day 10.

It's less stressful.

[​IMG]

5. jmc

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    thank you both, alien and baby...............

yes, i think doing both bators at one sitting will be too much (I actually have three of em!!!) for me.

i also do not plan on tossing anything until it 'rots'! I am glad to know you can tell it is rotten BEFORE it is sprayed all over the inside of the bator. That would really really be a drag..........

i am thinking of candling the second bator again tomorrow, when i am more 'clear'........

not sure.........

6. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    I just candled 65 eggs (and only one incubator), and after 30 I was beginning to see cross-eyed.

[​IMG]

7. bikerchic

bikerchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2011
    Virginia
    How "fresh" are your batteries? I found if you put new batteries in the flashlight it made a world of difference. I thought I was loosing my candling skills also, till I replaced mine.

8. RareBreedFancier

RareBreedFancier Surrounded by Broodies

Nov 5, 2010
    Australia :)
    Yup, too many eggs at a time. I have a 'bator that can hold up to 100 if I hand turn. Even with the racks in I only candle 3 or 4 rows at a time or my eyes/brain are fried too. I suggest you do one 'bator at a time. [​IMG]

Your nose will tell you if you have a stinker, believe me! I had a bunch very early on with some eggs I bought. 6 or 7 of 24 eggs over a week or so from memory. [​IMG] I couldn't believe I got so many but my nose told me they were there so I candled and found them. [​IMG]

9. Hi! I'm not sure if you are having incubator problems or candling problems.
    If it is candling problems, I'd suggest building yourself a coffee-can type candler. When I candle massive numbers of eggs, I get an eye-ache and a back-ache.
    My candler 'lives' on the back of the toilet in a bathroom (only windowless room). It's a fairly comfortable place to sit and no one bothers me there.

Quote:

10. jmc

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    Quote:thanks, i check that and make sure mine are new and strong-----which they are.

i candled one several hours later last eve. and was able to detect veining. one which i couldn't tell about during the 'marathon'.

but still i thought i would see mostly veins at just day seven. it's almost like they are growing faster than they should.

BUT I MUST ADD. I HAVE ONLY HATCHED ONE TIME IN MY LIFE.

SO IT MAY JUST BE THAT WITH EXPERIENCE, I WILL COME TO SEE THAT BY DAY SEVEN, SOMETIMES YOU SEE MORE 'DARK' IN SOME THAN IN OTHERS.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by