Candling MissPrissy's eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by yotetrapper, Mar 28, 2009.

1. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Well I candled them tonight on day 9, and am in awe to report that 11 of 13 eggs are alive. Shipped all the way to Illinois! That's the best percentage I've ever got for shipped eggs! Can't wait for them to hatch!

2. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    [​IMG] wow i can only hope i get that kind of ratio on my eggs i got this weekend [​IMG]

3. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    Mine will be "checkable" on the 31st...Can't wait!

4. DaisyLyn08

DaisyLyn08 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2008
    Hi, Im new here. Can someone tell me during candling, how can you tell if the embryo or chick is still alive or not? Mine were supposed to hatch today. Will it damage anything if I candle them now ? Am I supposed to be able to see any movement if chick is alive? They were all fertile when I candled them on 9nth day. If they aren't alive what could have happened for them to die? I have an automatic turner this time. I put more water in all the rungs. They should have started pipping last night. So what does a dead embryo look like?

Thanks,
    Sandy
    California

5. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Nooooo don't open the incubator at all now! Day 18 on your can't open it. It messes up the humidity and ruins the hatch. Just leave them, they might just be late hatching.

If they dont hatch, I'd guess you had too high of humidity. I put very very little water in my incubator until the end. If you dont have a thermometer that reads humidity, get one. They can be had at Walmart for like 6-8 bucks. Too high of humidity can cause the chicks to drown in the shell when they try to hatch. You could make a post of your own in this section and others will have more advice for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by