Candling of quail eggs possible?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by QChickieMama, Oct 7, 2011.

1. QChickieMama

QChickieMama Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Oct 1, 2011
    It's day 7 or 8 for my coturnix (A&M) eggs in the incubator. I tried candling them last night but got no info at all. Doesn't seem the light wants to pass at all. Does it just not work w/quail eggs because they're dark & speckled?

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Sometimes you can see into them and others you can't. Try finding an area on the shell that isn't heavily spotted and see if you can't see through it there. But at day 7 or 8, you aren't going to see much besides light veining; wait until the eggs are almost to term and you should be able to tell.

3. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

showing hairline cracks:

[​IMG]

and an egg on day 1 before setting.. I just set some more yesterday and today so I may have to take more pics in a few days of the newest batch

[​IMG]

I used the OvaScope High Intensity candler from Brinsea

4. rittert3

rittert3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    Has anyone tried this GQF "Egg Light" pen light looking candler, they have it listed for $5.50. I figured I'd give it a shot for that price.

5. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I use the 9-light LED flashlights from Wal-mart for about $5. If you get a light from GQF or any other place like that you'll have to pay price plus shipping [​IMG]

6. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Nice picures, but I sure hope you didn't pay too much for that light. I'd see just as much in an egg like that with my $5 LED flashlight [​IMG]

Get some heavily spotted eggs and see how good it works with those....THEN I'd be sold.

7. rittert3

rittert3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    I have a local GQF dealer that about 30 miles away and another goes to all the major bird auctions in the area so it wouldn't be to much more, before we always just used a clamp on desk lamp with the "flex neck" and covered it with a small cardboard box then cut a hole to fit the size of egg we had in the bator, it worked good on solid colored eggs.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  8. Dingo

Dingo Chillin' With My Peeps

gotta love cheap LED lights for candling eggs.
    If you have a decent light you will be able to see some movement even after the eggs fill. You will also be ablt to track their growth a little bit as they begin to fill the egg.You will see the most detail for the first 5 -6 days or so though.

9. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Nice picures, but I sure hope you didn't pay too much for that light. I'd see just as much in an egg like that with my $5 LED flashlight [​IMG]

Get some heavily spotted eggs and see how good it works with those....THEN I'd be sold.

oh it's well worth the price to me.. it magnifies the image (my eyes aren't what they used to be) and it also works well on really dark eggs (marans)

plus i can take pics of the eggs with my crappy cell phone and don't have to worry about trying to juggle a light, the egg and my phone!

10. QChickieMama

QChickieMama Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Quote:Oh, good! This is what I was using. I'll try again in a day or two. Maybe my garage wasn't dark enough.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by