Candling.... omggggg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tuff1430, May 18, 2011.

1. tuff1430

tuff1430 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2010
    :Okay Ive had chickens for YEARSSSSSS.... We used to use an incubator but never candled... Set the box, set the auto egg turner, locked down, out come chickens... When possible we let the hens sit on most of ours..... So lets move on to the present.. Some how I've become chicken obessed... Maybe bird obsessed... I spent HOURS at the st fair last year, showing my birds, picking my fav breeds for next year, judging other birds (picking out every fault) and got into freakin turkeys.. OMG i'm turkey crazy.. I currently have 30 eggs in my incubator.. 15 holland and 15 royal palms... I rotate them 3 times a day, check the temp constantly, water, ect... We are on day 7.. Tried to candle last night.. Omg I have no clue what I'm looking at... I've watched all the video, all the youtubes, all the pictures... Can NOT find any pics and videos for speckled turkey eggs on day 7.. I can't see anything! Please help a moron over here:D[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. mrszlopez

mrszlopez Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Jackson,NJ
    thats a lotta turkey eggs !!! [​IMG] im not sure about the correct way to candle them, but any time ive tried candling a turkey egg, it was a FAIL. so i just waited until they pipped lol. good luck !

3. tuff1430

Oct 14, 2010
    Thanks!! I'm gonna need it!! LOL
    I had a bunch of RI reds hatch 5 this past friday and have a black jersey sitting on some at the moment due any day.... But those are easy.. Feed, water, soft bed, and couple kodak moments lol....

SOOO I candled all the eggs tonight. I decided since I'm not quite sure what I'm looking at I penciled in notes about each egg... I wrote nice veins if I saw veins or nice air sac, If I saw what I thought to be a "red ring" I wrote that on the egg, if it looked "behind" where the other eggs were not as developed as the others... Some I think I saw the "eyes"... Then again I could have a bunch of duds.. But gotta start somewhere!! LOL:D

4. GrannysRoost

GrannysRoost Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    Casa Grande
    If you took notes, you saw something, and sounds like what you should at 7 days...[​IMG]

5. tuff1430

Oct 14, 2010
    Quote:TY!! I'm so excited!! I can't wait! I'll update this weekend.. We will see where we're at

6. L.L Farm

L.L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    Maine
    I've only hatched Turkey's a few times and each time they were Blue Slates. I've found that you can't really tell until day 14 [​IMG] So with the turkeys I just incubate them like your supposed to, but don't candle those until day 14 - lockdown day.

Good Luck! [​IMG]

7. tuff1430

Oct 14, 2010
    wait day 14 is lockdown day???? I thought it was day 25??? Ohhh so much to learn.. lol

8. mrszlopez

mrszlopez Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Jackson,NJ
    [​IMG] notes will be very good in the long run !!

9. L.L Farm

L.L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    Maine
    I'm sorry for the miss info, should've written it out another way, I meant that I either candled on day 14, or lockdown day and threw out the bad ones, you could usually tell by them.

10. tuff1430

Oct 14, 2010
    TY!! Now I got ya! I was getting worried.. I thought I TOTALLY had it wrong lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by