Candling overdue eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jonezjollyfarm, Apr 9, 2016.

1. jonezjollyfarm

jonezjollyfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2015
    Illinois
    Today is the 22nd day of incubation. I put them in in the evening (around 630-7ish) 21 days ago (and counted that as day 1). Should I not have counted that as the first day? When I took them off the turner they were alive and moving but no pip or chirps or rocking yet. Temperature and humidity are good. When can I candle them again to see if they are still alive?

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Day one doesn't start until 24 hours after you set them, since the eggs need time to come up to temp :)

3. jonezjollyfarm

Apr 19, 2015
    Illinois
    Then did I take them off the turner to soon? I think I saw an egg wiggle a little but I may have been seeing thing too

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    No, they'll be fine. Once the embryos start moving on their own, turning isn't that important (since they're not as likely to stick to the side when they're bouncing around in there).

5. jonezjollyfarm

Apr 19, 2015
    Illinois
    Holy Moses I got a pip. I went in to check for the 100th time today (id pretty much given up) and I heard this rocking sounds them boom a piece of shell popped off an egg. Now if the rest will go!

6. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    Since you are on day 21 now, things sound pretty good! If your temps were a little low, the catch could be delayed a bit.

Give them a few days, and good luck! [​IMG]

7. jonezjollyfarm

Apr 19, 2015
    Illinois
    The anticipation is killing me. I have a little led flashlight that's pretty weak I'm using to peek in and I can see the thermometer wiggle so that has to mean more are working their way out! I just want to see them!

8. EaeMre

EaeMre Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2015
    Sharpsburg Ga
    We are right there with you! Our first chick hatched on the 7th, two on the 8th, four on the 9th. We still have five eggs still in the incubator. We set them in the incubator on March 19 th at 12:31pm, which makes today day 22. When I candled the eggs there is a black mass and the air sac ( one has shadows in the air sac.). One egg showed liquid in it, cracked it open and had it had died after a few days.

How much longer should I let them sit?

9. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    In my opinion, if you don't have a pip within 24 hours of your last "normal" hatch, then the rest of the eggs probably won't hatch.

If you don't see anything by morning, I'd be prepared to call the hatch over.

Others will have different opinions though, so do what you are comfortable with.

10. EaeMre

EaeMre Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2015
    Sharpsburg Ga
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by