Candling Pheasant eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Laskaland, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Hi all!
    I have been lurking for a bit.
    I just started this new chicken/fowl hobby although I have been reading and thinking about it for a long time!
    Anyway... I purchased pheasant eggs to hatch and set out in our wooded areas on our farm. I love the ringnecks.

Anyway, I am on day 8 and I wanted to candle them. I tried a few different things, but because the shells are so dark, I am struggling!!! I plan to go to town on Monday or Tuesday so I can get some supplies beyond flashlights, but I think I need a really strong light to get through the shells.

THANK YOU in advance for any advice!!

Christina in Nebraska

Wife, mommy of two, organic gardener, caretaker of german shorthairs and 10 (plus more on the way) farm cats....

2. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Welcome to BYC. Good luck candling, I've had some real doozy EE eggs... [​IMG] If they don't stink, leave them in the bator and hope for the best.

3. Laskaland

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Hi Shellie:
    Thanks so much for the response.
    That was how I was leaning, but I read somewhere that the dang things could explode...

On a side note... did you go to the NASCAR race today in your backyard??

Hugs
    Christina

4. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Quote:I've never had a 'bomb'. I'd like to keep it that way. Unless it stinks or it's oozing, it stays in my bator...

And no. I've lived in this area my whole life and I've never went to a nascar race. If I sit in my father's backyard, I can hear everything they announce over the speakers, he lives 1/4 mile from the track...

Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
  5. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I find you can't see much going on inside pheasant eggs until around day 14. By then, it will have a defined dark mass and an air cell, which indicates a chick growing. If it's pretty clear, it is no good or the chick perished early in incubation. Good luck with your hatch.

Jody

6. ericbrbr

ericbrbr Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2008
    Tennessee
    I just hatched 14 out of 17 Ringneck Pheasant Eggs. I have a great flashlight for candling because it is so small no light passes beside the egg even the pheasant and bantam eggs. I candle in a dark room also. It is smaller round wise than the 2 AA Mini Maglight. I seen veining after a few days just like my chicken eggs. When I 1st got the eggs I thought I would never be able to. One problem I have is I dont notice when my batteries are getting low until I change them in my light. Once I freshen up the batteries Its good again.

7. Laskaland

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Thank you Eric for your response!! Congrats on the great hatch!!!
    Christina

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by