Candling pics...help me understand what I'm looking at

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by saraem, Mar 20, 2017.

1. saraem

saraem Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2016
    This is my second time incubating but first time with a darker eggs (Welsummer) and shipped eggs.

4/5 shipped eggs I can tell are developing well and we saw movement today. Some have slight saddle air cells but nothing too crazy. It is Day 13.

The 5th one I just can't tell what's going on. It seems like the air cell goes way up one side, but maybe that's not what I'm looking at. I can see SO much less with these than I'm used to! It also seems like the embryo (certainly something at least started to develop) is maybe toward the center of the egg rather than right up against the shell making it harder to make out?

Should we toss it or wait to candle again on Day 18?

One side, air cell visible at bottom and embryo above.
    [​IMG]

Other side...is that the air cell going all the way up the side? Or just albumen?
    [​IMG]

Next side - you can see the same dark "line" as above but the egg is further turned away from camera.
    [​IMG]

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    I'm sorry, but I think that egg quit :( I see no veins and the embryo looks way too small to be on day 13. An egg on day 13 looks like this:

[​IMG]

3. saraem

saraem Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2016
    I cannot see veins on any of the darker eggs but the rest are 100% developing. The dark shells make it super tough to see much.

I agree, though, that the embryo looks potentially too small.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by