candling pics of bad eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LaGeniaLoca, Jun 23, 2011.

1. LaGeniaLoca

LaGeniaLoca Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Yorba Linda, CA
    I've found the candling pics that show progression of good eggs, but does anyone have pics of what bad eggs look like? I have eggs in the bator that are on day 5, and I swear there isn't a single good one. I've tried taking pics with my camera, but haven't had any luck. I don't want to crack these open, as I paid for these to be shipped and don't want to waste them. The shells are very light in color, so I can see inside them easily. Some look completely clear, and others look cloudy or dark, but I don't see any veining in any of them.

2. ChickieWoo

ChickieWoo Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2010
    Michigan
  3. djennings

djennings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    Sabine Pass, TX.
    Go to Incubating & Hatching Eggs-Important topic Index-Please Review by Silkiechicken. Click on it. Go to Egg Candling Pics: Progression through Incubation. Great pics of candling

4. LaGeniaLoca

Apr 4, 2011
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Thanks. I already checked those links, but didn't find what I was looking for. I guess I'm hoping to find something to reassure me that I didn't just waste $25 on a dozen scrambled eggs!

I did find this link that shows more of what I was looking for - what the bad eggs look like when candled.

http://animalscience.ucdavis.edu/Avian/pfs32.htm

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  5. Ceinwyn

Ceinwyn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Southeast Ohio
    Day 5 is a little early to make a decision on viability.
    I'd try to hold off until day 10 to make sure you don't toss any slow starters.
    Good luck to you.

6. LaGeniaLoca

Apr 4, 2011
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Quote:What do you mean by slow starters? I thought that at day 5 you would be able to at least see the "spider" veins.

7. Ceinwyn

Ceinwyn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Southeast Ohio
    Not all eggs hatch on day 21 and not all eggs will show veining on day 5.
    Depending on your incubation temperatures and how steady temperature and humidity has been they could be developing a little slower.
    Day 5 is just a little early to decide to toss is all.
    Hoping they're just off to a slower start and you have some keepers.

8. LaGeniaLoca

Apr 4, 2011
    Yorba Linda, CA
    When I candled them tonight, I found one developing. The others were completely clear, or cloudy and dark with little bubbles floating around. I went ahead and opened them up and found that the clear ones never did anything at all, and all the others were goopy and starting to smell. I don't think I'll ever buy shipped eggs again.

9. Niss

Niss Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    That sucks! Sorry to hear you had a bad experiance. Did you say 1 of 12 is going strong?

10. LaGeniaLoca

Apr 4, 2011
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Yes, just 1 out of 12. It's a mille fleur bantam cochin. Here's hoping it continues to develop. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by