Candling pics on day 8

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MariposaMama, Jun 9, 2009.

1. MariposaMama

MariposaMama Songster

Aug 31, 2008
    Mariposa, CA
    I just had to try to see if I could get these pics to come out. I think it's the coolest thing that you can see the new life developing. Of the 12 eggs in my bator, I have 2 I'm not sure what's going on with, but the others are pretty obvious.

1 definite blood ring
    [​IMG]

1 definite clear (can't imagine how the roos missed a girl [​IMG] )
    [​IMG]

All 8 others showing definite life-can even see the embryos moving around [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. giasmom

giasmom Songster

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    Good pics. Thanks for sharing.

3. orangecatrex

orangecatrex In the Brooder

Feb 9, 2009
    What's your secret to the candling process? do i need to make anything special, or is it just that i'm not in a dark enough place? I have a hen on about 5 eggs for 4 weeks now. I'm still looking for the info on how long i can expect to wait... But if i could see "if" the eggs under her were even fertile.... it should would help me know if and or when......

I recently gave away 1 of my roos because they were fighting, but the one i kept doesn't seem to be doing the rooster thing... Very few of the eggs i use appear fertile. Thanks for your help. and good luck with your new babies to be.

4. MariposaMama

MariposaMama Songster

Aug 31, 2008
    Mariposa, CA
    For me it's not as much about the dark room as it is a good light source. I found some pocket-sized LED flashlights at my local True Value Hardware store and they work great. I can even see into the eggs in the daytime if I really try.

This is only my second hatch attempt (first was a total failure), so I'm no expert, but if your hen has been sitting on eggs for more than 24 or 25 days, I'd guess the eggs are not fertile.

5. orangecatrex

orangecatrex In the Brooder

Feb 9, 2009
    ok, thanks for the info. I didn't mark the calender on the exact day she began setting. When i get in this evening, i will try the led flashlite, as I too have one like this. We'll give it a few more days and see what happens. If i can't see anything, i may consider getting her a new clutch of eggs. Thanks for the help.

OCR

6. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Songster

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I use a mini maglite to candle my eggs. It does the job pretty well. [​IMG]

Great candling pics by the way. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: