Candling Pictures. Help me confirm if this one needs to be tossed

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SportChick, Jul 5, 2010.

1. SportChick

SportChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Louisiana
    Today is Day 7. These are GLW and Ameraucana eggs. They are all shipped eggs and some of the air cells are loose and my temp has been running a little lower than I would like in the last 24 hours. I am pretty sure the first picture shows a blood ring but would like confirmation before I throw it out. I actually have another one just like it. What is happening in the other picture? It looks like a blood spot. I don't see any veins so I am guessing whatever it is, the chick isn't developing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Charles07

Charles07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Sheridan, Indiana
    Before I even read your post I thought "blood ring". (1st picture)

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  3. SportChick

Mar 7, 2010
    Louisiana
    So, the first one is definitely a blood ring then. What about the second one?

4. Charles07

Charles07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Sheridan, Indiana
    I would leave the 2nd one and check it in a week, but that's me. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

5. holachicka

holachicka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Folsom, CA
    I'd leave them both for another week, wouldn't hurt right? Just mark them with a ? and check again to see if there was any changes... if not, toss em... [​IMG] Just MHO.

6. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    I'd toss the 1st one (most definitely looks like a blood ring) and keep the second. At Day 7, they kinda look like that, though the pic is kind of small.

If you decide to toss the first one (and if it IS a blood ring, you will want to toss it before the bacteria inside get to the explosion point), place it in a plastic baggie and crack it to see. My guess is that you'll find something like the first pic on this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=4407757#p4407757

7. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    The first is a blood ring and the second looks like an embryo starting, but it's hard to tell this early for sure. My rule here is to never toss eggs before day 10 and I sometimes wait until day 14 before I toss any just to be certain. If the first egg doesn't have an odor, I'd leave it until day 10 just to be certain. It won't hurt anything as long as it's not oozing or smelling bad.

8. SportChick

Mar 7, 2010
    Louisiana
    It doesn't smell bad so I guess I will wait. Some of the others have pretty good veins already but I don't want to throw out an eggs that is Ok, since I only have 3 of each type.

9. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Yes, first one blood ring..I would toss so as not to cause problems with the others.
    The other could be a new little embryo. Check it later. Pictures are hard to go by, but pretty sure the first one is a blood ring.

10. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    I wouldn't leave the first one in there, especially if your other eggs are slightly porous looking (which from the pics, it looks like they are) The issue with leaving in a blood ringed egg (aside from explosion) is that it stands a good chance of infecting nearby eggs and killing off their embryos. I've actually had this happen, and it's no fun to find out later.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by