Candling pictures of day 18 quitters?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by otis7, Jan 12, 2014.

1. otis7

otis7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2012
    Maryland
    I'm worried I lost one, day 17. He looked fine the other day, kicking around. Now I have a large black spot in the egg, no movement. When I slowly turned the egg I saw fluid moving. I'm so sad, we made it so far. It just didn't look alive. That leaves us down to one egg, who is moving and looks well. I do not want to raise one chick. It's just not fair to the chicken. ****.

Anyway, would love to see some pictures of late stage quitters.

2. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    Do you really know its dead? I've been hatching for over 10 yrs and never see movement when candling but they all hatch perfectly.

3. otis7

otis7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2012
    Maryland
    I don't, and it'll be staying in the bator for the duration. There was just an ominous black spot at the top of the egg, almost yoke sized and previously the egg looked fuller with more natural looking shading. I do see movement in the other egg.

4. taylamiller1

taylamiller1 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2013
    New Zealand
    Mine also died on day 17 he stopped moving I left him in incubator till day 19 checked again still nothing so I decided to crack it open he was so close to hatching I was so sad

5. only1bgirl

only1bgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2014
    Oregon
    Was the chick dead or did it hatch?

6. only1bgirl

only1bgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2014
    Oregon
    In restrospect I have realized now they had died, the difference in the veins was the drastic, they had shriveled up and were not red anymore. Either to low humidity, temp spike or too much candling. Definite learning process.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by