Candling Quail Eggs

Discussion in 'Quail' started by emsevers, Dec 16, 2008.

1. emsevers

emsevers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2008
    Carlton, OR
    I just put 30 bobwhites in the incubator today. This is my first time incubating. [​IMG] I was wondering if you candle quail like you do with chickens. At what point do you candle and are you looking for the same things that you look for with chickens.

I'm a little nervous to touch them again because they're so tiny I'm afraid that I'll drop them.

Just curious what everyone does.

Thanks, Erin

2. allaboutdemchicks

allaboutdemchicks Chapel Farms

Sep 13, 2008
    Jemison, AL
    Thats a good question.....I can't help, but maybe someone out there will respond!!

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I've not hatched bobwhites yet, but yes you do look for the same things as chicken eggs. Whether or not you can see it is a different story! I don't have much trouble candling coturnix eggs, but the button eggs I've hatched were almost impossible. Even with the coturnix eggs about the only thing I could really detect was how 'full' the egg was. There were a few that I could see veins in early on, but not many.

4. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    I bought a very tiny LED light to candle my Coturnix eggs with. You have to wait until at least day 7 or 8 and shine the light right through the air cell to be able to see anything. Even then some of the shells are too thick. Button eggs are hopeless...

5. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    Bob whites are easy to see in, because they're white. I'm on my second hatch of them. You'll probably see good veining and everything pretty clearly.

Good luck with your hatch!

6. emsevers

emsevers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2008
    Carlton, OR
    Thanks so much. I'm so excited I can't stand it. My DH has a small led keychain that I thought I could use. So now is the countdown to day 7 or 8. Bobwhites take so long it's killing me and I'm only on day 2.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by