Candling question at day 7

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BroosterSpringsteen, Jul 5, 2011.

1. BroosterSpringsteen

BroosterSpringsteen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    NW North Carolina
    I have eggs at day 7 in the incubator. They have a questionable fertility rate, as they are from my neighbor's chickens. She estimates 60% fertility based on what she sees when cracking them, but I wanted to give it a shot. During my last hatch, I saw a lot of clear veining at day 7. But when I candled this batch, all I can see is a very small air cell at the top, followed by a moving dark mass in the middle, and totally clear at the bottom. These are light colored eggs, easy to see through. I'm leaving town, and have the chance to pick up more eggs, but I don't want to unless I have room in the incubator.

Any thoughts? I know I shouldn't give up on them just yet.

2. blkwdw

blkwdw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    sounds like viable eggs to me [​IMG]

3. Flawedatdesign

Flawedatdesign Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Dixon Missouri
    I know with mine I didn't see anything happening at day 7 on many of my eggs. Thought I had only 4 out of 24 going good.

Well besides a few mishaps I now have 8 that are moving and 2 I'm unsure about.

4. BroosterSpringsteen

May 15, 2011
    NW North Carolina
    Ok, thanks! That encourges me a little more. I think I'll candle again in another week.

Btw, when I said "moving dark mass", I didn't mean that the mass was moving around, only that it shifts as I turn the egg.

5. BroosterSpringsteen

May 15, 2011
    NW North Carolina
    UPDATE: 16 of 17 eggs are growing. My neighbor will be so pleased! She was certain that her poor rooster's love life was in bad shape...but apparently, he's doing his job.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by