Candling question - Day 10

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Yard full o' rocks, May 11, 2009.

1. Yard full o' rocks

Yard full o' rocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia
    I have apporox 35 Buff Orp eggs in the 'bator. This will be my 3rd hatch (hopefully). We candled them last nite (day 10) and I have a couple questions. In several, there appeared to be a dark "shadow" on the large end of the egg, but no real definitive shape or movement. In approx a dozen of them, we saw what we have seen on the 2 previous hatches...a very defined dark "shape", a dark spot (probably the egg) and some movement. Can there be that much developmental difference between the eggs? Are the ones with a dark shadow "bad"? Should I just wait a few more days and candle again? Need some advise as I have never seen this much difference between eggs before. THANKS

2. Southern Chickens

Southern Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    NorthWest Florida
    I would wait to see what happens. If you want to know what it is, break one open. The chick may have started to form and it died for some reason. Good luck!

3. kavekitty

kavekitty New Egg

May 11, 2009
    Bonifay, FL
    Can you see any blood veining in the egg? If the veining is red the embryo is living but if it has gone dark it has died.

4. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I can never see veining after about day 6. Seems like I see veins, then about day 10, all I see is a black blob.

I'd leave them alone; unless you see a definite blood ring or NO dark blob, they may still be okay. You won't ALWAYS see movement either.

Good luck on your hatch!

5. Yard full o' rocks

Yard full o' rocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia
    Quote:Thank you. On my first 2 hatches, I could see a dark "spot" and often it moved. This time there were several with just had a really dark shadow that kind of floated in the big end of the egg. I am using a standard 60 watt buld over a cardboard cut-out so the light is really not intense enought to see a lot of detail. I DID NOT see any blood rings as I did find 2 of those in my last hatch. Thanks again.....[​IMG]

6. SweetMissDaisy

SweetMissDaisy Chillin' With My Peeps

Maybe try using a small mag light to candle the eggs with .... you might be able to see more detail with a narrower, brighter light, than you can with your current setup. Then again, maybe not. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by