Candling question for all you seasoned proz...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chris Herzog, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Chris Herzog

Chris Herzog Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2011
    Covington
    I have a candling question for all you seasoned proz and yes this in my first time doing this so I'm still learning.

This morning I was looking at some eggs that I set Friday night. Out of 50 eggs I have 31 that look like this or better….

[​IMG]

I’m happy with these eggs.

I have maybe 2 eggs that are questionable to me and could go either way. I plan on leaving these eggs alone for now and then re-check them in a few days.

Then I have 17 that look like this one…

[​IMG]

My question is this, when do you call it quits on an egg? In other words, should I let these 17 eggs go a few more days then check them again or should I just go ahead and remove them now? Tonight will be day 5.

Thanks in advance,
    Chris

2. bikerchic

bikerchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2011
    Virginia
    I would wait till day 10 before tossing any. The first pic looks perfect!! The second looks clear, but the be 100% positive, just wait it out.

3. bikerchic

bikerchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2011
    Virginia
    Covington? What state?

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Agree. Patience is the best policy. I've made mistakes at 7 days, but mine are not usually as clear as yours. I probably need a stronger light or, more likely, better younger eyes. But still, wait a few days.

5. Chris Herzog

Oct 16, 2011
    Covington
    Quote:Louisiana

6. Shayna

Shayna I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Aug 2, 2011
    Midwest
    I agree too that the bottom pic looks clear but I would NOT throw them out yet. I've been wrong and never tossed them and had a surprise. I don't toss any until lock down, unless I would have one that smells or oozes.

7. Chris Herzog

Oct 16, 2011
    Covington
    OK, so keep them in at least until day 10 unless I have a problem with one like smell or something.

Thanks,
    Chris

8. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    This past time around, we marked our eggs.

on day 10 clear came out of the bator.

Good eggs got a green sharpie dot on top and Questionable eggs got a ? on top.

It helped to know when I candled again on day 15 where to start.

And the one's with a ? got moved to one area of the bator.

9. Chris Herzog

Oct 16, 2011
    Covington
    Quote:That is kinda what I did this morning. All the clear eggs got a (black) dot but I didn’t do anything with the 2 questionable eggs. I was thinking that I’ll check them again at 10 days and probably remove any clear eggs left at that point. If I have any that are questionable at 10 days I'll just leave them until day 18 and then check them again before I go into lock down.

I really think that this is some cool stuff but I think my wife isn't feeling it. LOL! Wait till she finds out I ordered a second incubator Monday night.

Hey, but thanks for the tip,
    Chris

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  10. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Yeah, I agree with the advice about marking eggs but leaving them in just to be sure. I candle on day 6 and mark mine good/maybe/infertile/blood ring. I'm getting better with experience but over the last couple of years I've had one or two 'blood rings' go on to hatch out as perfect little chicks. So now I remove the definite clear ones on day 12 and leave in everything else, just in case. Unless they smell and you suspect they might be going bad (which is very rarely for me) you've got nothing to lose by leaving them in.

My last hatch, I had 7 eggs and right before lockdown I was sure all but two were dead. Then, all but one hatched... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by