CANDLING QUESTION! Is it growing...or growing bacteria...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bearfeet3, Mar 24, 2009.

1. bearfeet3

bearfeet3 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2009
    On day 7 of incubating my seb goose egg, my incubator was unplugged for 12 hours. I was almost certain that killed it but I decided to leave it in there a few days to make sure. Well today I candled (Day 12) and it appears to have gotten darker inside the egg and what looks to be an embryo has gotten bigger. Anyway I'm shocked it survived if thats it, what does bacteria spreading inside the egg look like? Any pictures? Maybe I'm being really negative but I dont want to get my hopes up again for nothing. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

If you can't see any veins I'd say it's probably not good.

3. bockbock2008

bockbock2008 Why do they call me crazy??

Dec 30, 2008
    Southwest Indiana
    I haven't hatched any goose eggs,only chickens, but in my experience, the dark blob would not have continued to grow if it had gone bad. The bacteria usually causes a blood spot or a blood ring.

4. bearfeet3

Mar 14, 2009
    I don't see many veins...I actually don't see much. Geese have very thick shells. If I rock the egg gently back and forth I do see a dark odd shaped blob rocking inside, but other than that, nope nothing too distinct in there. I need a better flashlight!

5. LilDucky85

LilDucky85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Northern, Illinois
  6. bearfeet3

Mar 14, 2009
  7. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

Quote:Great links, thanks for posting them!

As long as it doesn't smell and isn't weeping, I would leave it as you can't make out much definition within the egg.

8. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Weeping? Will the egg sweat like a cold glass of water? I have a questionable egg right now and I want to know what to look for should it explode.

9. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

I personally have never seen it, but I would guess it is a bit of an oozing or condensation? If someone more knowledgeable would like to chime in?

I have found an icky one through smell though, and that clue you can't miss! Blech.

10. LilDucky85

LilDucky85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Northern, Illinois
    Thank you [​IMG]

Yup thats the one!! Thank you, now I will remember the name for if I have to look back. Ive visited that site many times and have it bookmarked on AOL. It doesnt help when you arent actually signed on AOL though. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by