Candling question. . .please ease my mind!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cici_p, Apr 11, 2009.

1. cici_p

cici_p Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Candled my duck eggs on day 7 and all but two have obvious development and veining!! [​IMG]
    However, several of them only have veining on one side of the egg--so say on the "front" of the egg, they have beautiful development, a clear embryo, dark, compressed looking yolk, etc. . .but as I turn to the back there is. . .nothing. Just complete blank. . .until as I turn it starts again on the front side.
    Is this at all normal?
    Or is something wrong here?
    I have my eggs in cartons (with the bottoms completely cut out) because so many had loose air cells. . .now I am worried if somehow the cartons could be cutting off the air supply, thus altering the development on one side? Or maybe this is just completely normal and I didn't notice it with my last egg??
    Thanks for any help!

Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
  2. mirecipes

mirecipes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2008
    I know nothing about duck eggs, and it's late here so I'm tired [​IMG]
    Are you turning these eggs?
    From what I understand, you need to turn eggs to "exercise the embryo" [​IMG]

3. cici_p

Feb 27, 2009
    Yes, turning the same way eggs are turned in a turner, by tipping the carton on one side then the other. Seems like a pretty significant tilt, but maybe it isn't enough?

4. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    It's enough. I've seen egg appear to develop off balance, then turn out just fine. I read your threads about the loose air cells, if these are like that too, you don't want to rattle them around too much. The embryo will be exercised fine with tilting, and won't stick to the shell.

Think of the way an embryo's body curls in the egg, sort of like the letter "C". There could be clear space on the front, where the gap is.

5. cici_p

Feb 27, 2009
    So what I'm seeing is normal?
    Schwew!

6. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    Without seeing yours myself, I can't swear they're normal, but I've had some that fit the description, and they were fine.
    Sometimes it's hard to tell, you just have to wait and see. The dark areas should grow larger until they fill all but the air cell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by