CANDLING QUESTION...WHEN TO TOSS EGGS????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Layin Eggs, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Layin Eggs

Layin Eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2007
    South Eastern, MA
    Yesterday was day 14 so Hubby and I decided to candle.We saw lots of movement in most of the eggs. However there were 2 questionable eggs. There was deffinately signs of growth inside however there was no movement. And there was alot more open space so to speak in these 2 than the rest of the eggs. How do you know if the fetus died during day 7-14? They all had movement on day 6.

I plan on waiting til day 18 re-candle before placing them in the hatcher. Should I not wait until day 18. i don't want any egg-splosions. [​IMG]

2. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    I hear the eggs will begin to smell before they will explode, but I haven't experienced this myself. When in doubt, I think it is good to leave them, just in case. Keep checking them. If they aren't visibly growing or moving one day to the next then that might clue you in. At some point you should feel confident one way or the other.

Edited to clarify -- I haven't had a bad egg or an explosion, but I have definitely had my doubts about viability of eggs before.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2008
  3. Layin Eggs

Layin Eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2007
    South Eastern, MA
    I will keep an eye on them for now.

4. Parson's Wife

Parson's Wife Blessed Abundantly

Jan 22, 2008
    Arkansas
    I have no experience besides just a coupla days ago...my first hatch. 8 out of 13 eggs hatched. Silkies... I can tell you I would not toss till overdue. Why? I NEVER saw any movement in my eggs. Not one time...and now I have lovely babies chirping.
    This is just my limited experience.
    I candled on day 4, 7(couldn't help myself), and 14. Even on day 14, nothing...just the egg was dark inside.

Hope I've helped.

5. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    I candled multiple times, beyond regular weekly candling, when I incubated because I wanted to be sure of what was going on. It didn't hurt the eggs to be disturbed regularly for short periods. When you think about it the hen needs time off the nest anyway, so don't feel bad about checking once a day if you feel you need to.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by