Candling Question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenlover456, Jan 25, 2009.

1. chickenlover456

chickenlover456 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2009
    Bay Area, CA
    What is the earliest you should candle? Is there a certain place in time where it can harm the egg? It's Day 2 for my eggs, and i'm anxious to candle, but I won't start until i'm sure it's fine.

2. Chicken Cluck

Chicken Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    I'm not an expert but I'm just guessing that maybe two weeks. I've never raised fertalized eggs.

3. Farm Frenzy

Farm Frenzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    I don't know about anyone else, but I usually candle mine about day 3. That's when I can usually start to see veining, if any. If I'm not 100% possitive, then I put it back in the incubator and recheck around day 7 or so. Everyone is different and has their own methods, but there are plenty of wonderful people here to help you out, and you can pick which one is best for you, that's what I did.

4. SussexInSeattle

SussexInSeattle Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Washington
    I thought I saw that it is better to candle soomer than later but I can not remember where in here that I saw that. So go ahead and candle away!

5. roosty

roosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    Georgia
    Quote:Thats what I do too [​IMG]

6. fisher man

fisher man New Egg

Jan 25, 2009
    You can candle as soon as you get to make shure the egg is fertile.

7. windtryst

windtryst Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I candled on day 5 if I remember, and saw the veining. And again on day 8 or 9. Candle early to see the veining, after that it was growing dark blobs...

8. Chicken Cluck

Chicken Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Actually, i did some research, and day 6 is best.

9. chickenlover456

chickenlover456 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2009
    Bay Area, CA
    Judging from the wide variety of answers, I'm guessing it doesn't really matter when, as long as its NOT Day 2. (Yes, I candled when i received the eggs in the mail to check for cracks.) Since I'm just about bouncing up and down in my chair, I think I'll candle on Day 3. Thanks for all the help everyone!

10. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Quote:It's going to be a long 21 days for you. [​IMG] Wait until day 18 comes, the last 3 days take forever.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by