Candling Question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mediazeal, Apr 2, 2009.

1. mediazeal

mediazeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    How often can I candle and not put the eggs in danger?
    The incubator recovers temp and humidity within 60 seconds when I grab one and close it again.
    I dont' want to harm any of the eggs but I am brand new at this and fascinated at watching them grow.

Of the 6 I have looked at (out of 24) 5 have veins (7 days) and one is too dark to see anything.

I want to get a better candling light today, but will hold myself back if you tell me I am endangering my hatch possibilities by taking them out for a minute or two.

I would love to be able to do that once a day on an egg or two.
    Do I need to sit on my hands instead?

Advice very welcome
    thanks

2. Smokin Silkies

Smokin Silkies formerly browneyebuttafly

Mar 27, 2009
    Western, PA
    I have read that it is ok to have an egg out for 10-15 min. The hen will leave her eggs to eat, drink, etc. once a day and eggs are alright. I candle mine every day at day 5, because I can't help it. I have the lid off for about 5 min, but my temp goes right back up too.

3. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

I just take the lid off and candle them all. Sometimes my lid is off for up to 30 mins, with no problems.

4. mediazeal

Feb 26, 2009
    Thank you so much
    Candling addiction continues!

Now I just need something strong enough to see into these brown eggs...........
    My little white Golden Penciled Hamburgs all seem to be growing great, but the welsummers, barnevelders and marans are giving me a hard time!

thanks

5. Cason

Cason Chillin' With My Peeps

Not to hi-jack your post.. I've never 'candled' before.. my eggs are on day 15. Is that too late?

6. mediazeal

Feb 26, 2009
    Oh, not too late to start the candling addiction

You have to do your final candling at day 18 so you can leave the incubator closed til hatch is over

But you can candle now

7. Cason

Cason Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by