Candling question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bigdaddyabc, May 19, 2010.

1. bigdaddyabc

bigdaddyabc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Greer
    OK, so I am on day 9 with my first incubation ever. I bought some guinea eggs. The guy I got them from locally had 50 guineas and 15 were male, so he said he always had good fertilization rates on the batches he incubated, and he had 3 going that I saw that day. Anyway, I got a 150 lumen LED flashlight, and it does glow through great! The question is, what the heck am I looking for? I have some that look like a dark thick ring in them, and others look more like they have a dark blob. One was CLEAR, with no dark in it at all, I figure it is just not fertilized, right? I also read that dark is good, but I certainly don't see what the pics look like that are posted on the forum page that was so well done.
    I have been pretty solid at 99.5 to 100 degrees with 50-60 percent humidity on my hygrometer. I bought a really good Fluger Thermo / Hygrometer at Petsmart as I read people here saying how cheap ones would be problematic. So, I feel confident in how they have been housed so far.

Any insights or input would be greatly appreciated!!

2. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    I've never hatched guinea before, but based on duck eggs:

Clear=infertile (correct!)
    Dark blob sounds good, but kinda hard to say based on that description--are there veins in there?
    Dark thick ring could be the outside of the "placenta"--are there veins in it? A pulsing blob?--or could be a blood ring...

Can you post pictures??

Sorry I'm not more help... learning to candle just takes practice, but it sure helps to have feedback.

3. bigdaddyabc

May 5, 2010
    Greer
    Can't really make out viens per se. Is a "blood ring" a good thing?

4. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    "Blood ring" refers to the appearance of an egg that began to develop but died early in incubation. Nine days is within the range when you would see a blood ring. But without seeing it myself, I can't possibly tell you if it's that or if it's the outline of the placenta, which would be a very good thing.

If I had to *guess*, I would say the blob is probably the good sign, and the ring is the bad sign. But like I said, that's really just a guess.

Sorry I'm not more help!

5. bigdaddyabc

May 5, 2010
    Greer
    OOOOOOOOOOOK....after some more reading, AND getting the room REALLY dark, AND putting the light underneath and moving them into a better position I am faaaaiiiirly certain that I have 5 viable embryos out of the original 12. The "blood ring" you spoke on is pretty darn clear right at the edge of the air sac, and is quite red. The little blobs inside them is no where near as developed as the others. I think I can make out little wings pressed up against the shell! My kids are thrilled! I just would really like to successfully hatch ONE DANG BIRD! I will be really unhappy if it a complete failure. Thanks for your help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by