candling question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenlady08, May 27, 2010.

1. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Hi there. I have a broody WJG hen. She started sitting on eggs on May 14th. She originally had 5 eggs as I wanted to buy some Buff Orpintons from my local Livestock Supply store in June when they receive their order. Well to get right to it she is now down to 1 egg and I candled it last nite and it certainly looks viable, but can't remember from my last broody hens if the veins get rather large and round.

And I am a dummy when trying to post a picture on here, but can someone explain to me how and maybe my daughter or son can help me post a picture tonite?

2. buffbeauty

buffbeauty Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Central Arkansas
  3. chickenlady08

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Oh Thank you BuffBeauty.

It was day 12 and that is what my one lone egg looks like. It kind of freaked me out. It almost looked like a worm. Ugh! But there is a picture that looks just like my egg does.

I will let her raise the Buff Orps I get on the 11th. I am so excited to finally get some Buffs.

4. buffbeauty

May 13, 2010
    Central Arkansas
    More than welcome!! I just got my trio of BOs a lil over 2 weeks ago after wanting them for about 5 years so I know what you mean!! I have lots of eggs in incubator. 3 are due June 5 and just put 14 in yesterday. So well see on those. Good luck!!![​IMG]

5. chickenlady08

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    I haven't had to buy an incubator yet. I have been very blessed to have breeds that go broody. Buff Orp make terrific mommies. I already have 38 other chickens, (these won't include the BO) My local family owned livestock supply have told me of how truly sweet they really are. I am over the moon with excitement. I can't imagine why. LOL. I already have some that have the broodiness. I am just not sure if I want them to intermingle with my existin flock because they are so docile. My Barred Rocks are so sweet and I truly love them. They are supposed to be sweet like the BO.

Good Luck with your hatch.

I am to afraid to get an incubator. I have no self control over chickens. I just love them so much. Oh my the chickens I would have it I did. My husband would go nuts. LOL

6. buffbeauty

May 13, 2010
    Central Arkansas
    Ha my guys are young just about 10-11 months and have really just started laying. And the girls were just put with James when I got them so I just couldn't stand not trying the eggs out even though they weren't broody yet. So I borrowed a bator from my mom and then order one of my own. BAD MISTAKE!!! Just got some banty salmon favorelles eggs in the mail today so well have solehthimg a little smaller for my kids to help care for also and show!! I'm pretty sire I'm gonna have to practice some serious restraint or just sell alot of new babies!!! Here's a pic of James, Henrietta, and Marianne the day we brought them home.
    [​IMG]

7. chickenlady08

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Oh my gosh! you are gonna make me cry. They are so so sweet looking. I so can't wait. I am going to get a rooster also. My livestock store did it for me cause they know me to well. they said that they knew i would want a boy also with my 6 girls. In Virginia there is a minimum purchase of 6 chicks so although I don't need 6 new babies I will have to have 6 new babies. I am so very excited it is going to make me go crazy waiting.

Where are you located?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by