Candling Question..

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hd_darcy, Jul 23, 2010.

1. hd_darcy

hd_darcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I am bummed. I have 14 eggs in the incubator. Today is day 7. I just candled all of them and only two have veins in them.[​IMG] Can you tell if they are infertile by candling? Some I can like see the yolk in them it seems, but no veins . I really hope that they take off... How long do I give them before I remove them? These were shipped eggs, and it's my first time hatching.. However, it's in the Brinsea Eco 20, and I've heard nothing but raves about it. I am trying to stay hopeful! Thank you!

2. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

With shipped eggs, that is not unusual. The postal system has a way with scrambling eggs during shipment. You could certainly leave the eggs for a few more days and then recandle them to see if any growth develops. Don't be too bummed about it. It happens all the time. Three of us here all ordered eggs from different parts of the US all about the same time. Out of almost 100 eggs none of them were good. It's not that they were not fertile, it was because they did not make it in transit. The shells were fine but the insides got bumped around too much.

3. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    if they are clear and have no cloudiness/mass in them they are most likely not fertile [​IMG] . Give yours a few more days though.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  4. hd_darcy

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I candled again. Those same two eggs, I can see total movement in them.. soo awesome. However, the other 12 NOTHING. Some look different than the others though. Some, look like I can see the yolk inside of them, and others look like a big dark mass. Could that be the yolk having broke?? Or is there hope for those. I have looked high and low in those with no luck of veins anywhere [​IMG]

I will be so bummed if I don't get any eggs...VERY.. getting only 2 will be hard to accept too [​IMG]

TIA!

5. hd_darcy

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Anyone??? Please..... [​IMG]

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If you see nothing by day 7, there is nothing so best just toss the clears. Shipping does a number on eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by