Candling question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by robinaggie, Jun 16, 2008.

1. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    I've checked the web, and I know what I'm supposed to see when candling. I discarded four clear eggs, and the rest have the dark area. It is day three, are the dark blobs supposed to move freely about when the egg is turned? They are free-floating, and I thought they shoud be attached to the lining. Are my eggs bad?

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    You can't see much on day three, don't throw any out till day 14 or so - and if they're clear at that point.

I'm assuming the dark blobs you're seeing on day 3 is the yolk.

3. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I am new to this but I think day 3 is early to discard anything. I have some on day 9 that I am just not sure of, but with my last hatch I could tell my bad one, so they are staying put a few more days. I did ask a similar question because one of my new ones has a floating mass with veins not along the shell. I was told pretty much to wait and see, hopefully some of the experienced hatchers will help [​IMG] Good luck
    Krista

4. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    Thank you for your replies. I didn't know that incubating eggs would make me so uptight!

5. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Oh no, no! Don't throw ANY out yet! You've got to give those little chicks some time to develop. I normally won't throw out any until day 14. By then you will know for certain which eggs have chicks in them and which do not. Here is also a great candling website. It has helped me out quite a bit. [​IMG]

http://www.shilala.com/candling.html

6. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Should never candle til atleast til day 7 if you aren't experienced in what you would be seeing...and never throw away on day 3......I wait til day 14 when I candle again and then and only then throw away if I'm not sure there the right development at that stage....

If it's a weeping/cracked smelly egg that is a different story...

Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  7. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    I know you said not to, but I candled again on day four and half of the eggs have veins! This is too exciting. I can't see into the dark eggs, so I'm just assuming all are good, but I will keep an eye out for weeping.

8. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Keep assuming until day 14. You will definitely know by then which are good and which are bad. That's great that they are all looking good! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by