Candling RIR's last night- One Egg is real Spotty looking ?? Any ideas

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by allquackedup, Sep 14, 2009.

1. allquackedup

allquackedup Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    Hello, we have 14 eggs in bator. We candled them last night they all pretty much looked the same - darker for about 2/3 of the egg then clear at bottom. We have them in small side down. We have one egg that when we candled it it was really full of spots everywhere. Any ideas? I think its a bad egg? Want to get it out of bator if it is bad before it ruins the others but if its ok then.... our eggs are a darker brown so its really hard to see much detail when candling. Anyone ever experienced this type of egg? Thanks in advance for any advice. Last night was day 9.

2. jthayerkatz

jthayerkatz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2008
    Holland, MA
    Depends on the spots that you are talking about if you are refering to the shell itself being spotty it is because the shell is has larger pores than the others. If there is any development or embryo inside then leave it, if you cannot see any development then it may not be fertile. I know from experience that this type of shell is really hard to see through so if I have any shadows at all I leave it until day 16 or 18 because at this point you should have a large chick and very little light passing through. if it is still bright remove it. if it starts to weep or smell remove it. I have been told that an egg that has these large pores is more prone to bacteria and less likely to hatch, but all things are possible for those who believe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by