Candling: Stuck to shell or other problems? Day 16

O.C.Chick

Songster
11 Years
Nov 15, 2008
Newport Beach, CA
Hi,

Can anyone tell me what this weird shadow is that I'm seeing while candling my eggs on day 16? .

DESCRIPTION: Something that looks like a shadow of dark sediment inside of approximately 1/8 of the egg, which doesn't move, along with an embryo that is definitely moving when it is exposed to the light..I just candled last night, and I do see the embryos moving around inside, however, I see dark areas on the sides of several of the eggs that does not move and blocks the light from shining through in that spot...

It is not a blood ring...it is much darker and concentrated in a particular area along one side of several of the eggs, almost like there's about a teaspoon of dried blood inside.

I'm wondering if this is normal in any way, or if it is as bad as it looks....Should I prepare for the worst, or Is there any chance that my chicks will hatch normally? And, is there any way to tell during candling whether or not a live embryo is having developmental problems like being stuck to the shell?

And thoughts or insight would be very much appreciated!!!!

Thank you!

Alys

hmmm know that your suppose to see an air cell....do u see one clearly or just guessing?...and also know Veins if the egg is light color, and the chick...u will see a dark spot...which Im not sure is the egg or heart...this is how mine looks.

36033_candeling.jpg

36033_candeling2.jpg

Im on day 10

I had several with bacteria that stopped developing, so I got rid of them. They had what could be described as either:
1. an oval dark colored ring inside, or
2. thinner translucent speckles in the shell that let more light through when candling.

These remaining eggs are definitely alive and moving inside of the shell actively....I hate to handle them any more to try to take a photo
he.gif
I wish I had had my camera last night to take a pic!

Is it possible for them to still be alive on day 16 if there was bacteria inside of the egg?

2txmedics,

If you look at the pictures that you provided, it looks almost the same EXCEPT: where your finger is touching the egg in your picture, my egg has a dark area that looks like it takes up about 1/8 of the egg on one side. I do definitely see an air cell and a moving embryo...it's just the weird dark area that's freaking me out!

Since I don't have a photo...Maybe I can illustrate something similar in my PhotoShop program so You will have a better idea what the heck I'm trying to describe!

Will try that now.

Thanks!

my picture are two different eggs...the second one...when I candled it...I had a good eye of two dark spots...like it had two chicks in it...both were moving (black spots)...so I got my cell to take the picture...tonight Im using a camera and see what I get...When I stuck them in the bator, I candled...I thought I saw two yolks...and forgot about it...this night...I saw two dark spots moving...I tried to catch it but couldnt get it good.

When you touch your eggs make sure your hands are clean everytime. And dry.

O.K....Here's my illustration of what I'm kind of seeing, using the photo you provided...Does this look like anything anyone's ever seen? You can see the weird dark spot that I drew on the left, the moving embryo in the middle, and the air pocket at the bottom...

18642_egg.jpg

O.C.Chick :

O.K....Here's my illustration of what I'm kind of seeing, using the photo you provided...Does this look like anything anyone's ever seen? You can see the weird dark spot that I drew on the left, the moving embryo in the middle, and the air pocket at the bottom...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/18642_egg.jpg

Day 16 the chick should be much larger than that. If you had to toss some eggs because of bacteria already, these may very well have it too. Also the air pocket should be at the top (large end) of the egg....not the bottom.​

Last edited:
hmmm, maybe its something on the shell, that the naked eye cant see???...Like if an egg has a crack, your nake eye might not catch it, but you candle it and it shows every tiny line...maybe its a speck inside the shell...my specked eggs show up as spots...not saying your egg is specked...just saying maybe there is something on the shell...and its only showing up on candleing....

does it smell??? is it seeping? if not I would maybe watch it a bit longer. ANYONE ELSE???..thoughts

Hi Katy...yes, it is larger than that...I just tried to draw it in Photo-shop, and I'm NOT a good artist! You can definitely see it wiggling around inside, and depending on how the light is shining on it, it looks different sizes.

Regarding the bacteria, it seems to have been isolated to the batch of silkie eggs that I set at the same time. None of the appenzelelr eggs have had any issues with bacteria, just the silkies. And I have been very good about washing and drying my hands with no-residue cleanser5 before touching eggs!

Back
Top Bottom