Candling the Impossible

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ThaJuicyJuice, Mar 10, 2011.

1. ThaJuicyJuice

ThaJuicyJuice Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2011
    Miami
    Anyone have any luck candling Ameraucana egss or Marans?

2. piccolini

piccolini Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    Camino, CA
    I have never had any problems candling my Ameraucana eggs. We use a LED headlight from REI. Works beautiffuly. Never had marans eggs though so can't tell you [​IMG]

3. ThaJuicyJuice

ThaJuicyJuice Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2011
    Miami
    For some reason I can't get any visual at all. How many lumens does your light have?

4. piccolini

piccolini Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    Camino, CA
    It has 100 lumens. We had it around the house from when we go camping. I tried it and it worked so:confused: [​IMG]

5. corvidae

corvidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2011
    Utah
    I picked up a 200 lumen LED flashlight from the local grocery store and it candles both the blue and olive eggs quite nicely. The room has to be completely dark, though, or the contrast isn't good enough to see clearly.

6. pkw

pkw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    North Edwards, CA
    My husband has a big maglite flashlight that I can see thru any eggs. He got it at Home Depot. I have a smaller maglite but it isn't as good as the larger one.

7. GlitterBug

GlitterBug Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    I am currently having a very hard time candling my cuckoo marans eggs. I think some are "bad" but it is very hard to tell even with the big Mag light we have.

I am just going to leave them alone until hatch day on the 19th and hope they are OK. I am just a little worried one may explode though if it is "bad." (That has happened before & I nor my family will ever forget that lovely smell!)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by