Candling turkey and duck eggs in a homemade kerosene lantern incubator

Pics

HelenAbim

Songster
5 Years
Dec 19, 2017
Lagos Nigeria
I have 26 turkey eggs sitting in the incubator along with 6 duck eggs and 1 egg of unknown origin(I am guessing it is a duck egg although it weighs 38g). I set 6 of the turkey eggs and the duck eggs on 19th December. The remaining eggs were set this morning. Because of cold spots in my incubator, I usually switch up the position of the eggs. Please is this okay?
When I candled yesterday, 4 of the duck eggs are doing fine. I couldn't see through the turkey eggs at all. Temperature fluctuates between 37.8-38.8 and humidity is between 47-52%. Am I doing it right?
The temperature at the bottom of the eggs is always 36.5 when I turn them. Please tell me if I am doing the right thing.

I have 26 turkey eggs sitting in the incubator along with 6 duck eggs and 1 egg of unknown origin(I am guessing it is a duck egg although it weighs 38g). I set 6 of the turkey eggs and the duck eggs on 19th December. The remaining eggs were set this morning. Because of cold spots in my incubator, I usually switch up the position of the eggs. Please is this okay?
When I candled yesterday, 4 of the duck eggs are doing fine. I couldn't see through the turkey eggs at all. Temperature fluctuates between 37.8-38.8 and humidity is between 47-52%. Am I doing it right?
The temperature at the bottom of the eggs is always 36.5 when I turn them. Please tell me if I am doing the right thing.
Porter's Guide to incubating turkey eggs.

In a still air incubator the recommended temperature is 38°C to 38.6°C. The place this temperature should be measured is at the top of the eggs.

It is recommended to move the eggs around in a still air incubator and to try to avoid putting eggs in known hot or cold spots.

Good luck.

Porter's Guide to incubating turkey eggs.

In a still air incubator the recommended temperature is 38°C to 38.6°C. The place this temperature should be measured is at the top of the eggs.

It is recommended to move the eggs around in a still air incubator and to try to avoid putting eggs in known hot or cold spots.

Good luck.
Thank you so much. The temperature is usually at 38.8°C but when I turn the eggs the bottom is usually 36.5 although in about 10 mins, it comes up to 37.8°C. I move the eggs around a bit to compensate for the cold spots and I measure temperature at the top of the eggs. I could only make out a large shadow in the turkey eggs when I candled- no blood rings. As for the duck eggs, I can see the spider web of blood vessels. The humidity right now sits between 50-55%. I am using the dry hatch method because of my climate.
My question is this: if the temperature at the top of the eggs is 37.8 and my eggs are turned frequently, and moved around to compensate for cold spots, will they hatch?

That's good advice.
I'm curious about the kerosene incubator.
What will you like to know? The incubator can accommodate 50 turkey eggs and I power it with a kerosene lantern because of the epileptic power supply. It certainly isn't easy using a kerosene incubator but it is possible and better than having your precious hatch stolen at commercial hatcheries. Each tray in the incubator can hold 25 eggs each. Will you like me to send pictures of the incubator?

Thank you so much. The temperature is usually at 38.8°C but when I turn the eggs the bottom is usually 36.5 although in about 10 mins, it comes up to 37.8°C. I move the eggs around a bit to compensate for the cold spots and I measure temperature at the top of the eggs. I could only make out a large shadow in the turkey eggs when I candled- no blood rings. As for the duck eggs, I can see the spider web of blood vessels. The humidity right now sits between 50-55%. I am using the dry hatch method because of my climate.
My question is this: if the temperature at the top of the eggs is 37.8 and my eggs are turned frequently, and moved around to compensate for cold spots, will they hatch?
I suspect that the large dark shadow you are seeing in the turkey eggs is the egg yolk.

You have to do what works for you. Here I try to maintain the humidity at 30% to 35% during incubation and 60% to 70% at lockdown.

If the temperature at the top of the eggs in a still air incubator is 37.8°C, the eggs should hatch but may be longer than the expected 28 days.

One of the most critical things is to be sure that the incubator has a good air exchange rate so that the hatchlings get sufficient oxygen towards the end. In particular, do not close vents in order to get the humidity up.

What will you like to know? The incubator can accommodate 50 turkey eggs and I power it with a kerosene lantern because of the epileptic power supply. It certainly isn't easy using a kerosene incubator but it is possible and better than having your precious hatch stolen at commercial hatcheries. Each tray in the incubator can hold 25 eggs each. Will you like me to send pictures of the incubator?
Sounds like it's going pretty well.
I'm very interested in your incubator as well. Pics would be wonderful! :fl

I suspect that the large dark shadow you are seeing in the turkey eggs is the egg yolk.

You have to do what works for you. Here I try to maintain the humidity at 30% to 35% during incubation and 60% to 70% at lockdown.

If the temperature at the top of the eggs in a still air incubator is 37.8°C, the eggs should hatch but may be longer than the expected 28 days.

One of the most critical things is to be sure that the incubator has a good air exchange rate so that the hatchlings get sufficient oxygen towards the end. In particular, do not close vents in order to get the humidity up.
Well, I don't think it is the yolk because it is large. I candled the eggs yesterday and one of the duck eggs had a distinct yolk. This large shadow is big and covers parts of the eggs. I plan to candle again at day 12 to check the progress and discard the quitters.

I labelled all my eggs from A -Z. Weighed them and and recorded their weight. Then I wrote the date the eggs were set on each egg. That way,I can track the progress of each one. There is also a large O on the back to make turning easier. My vents are open for good air exchange.

Back
Top Bottom