1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Candling Turkey Eggs - Day 10 - a little help PLEASE

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by TarHeelBlue, Feb 2, 2011.

1. TarHeelBlue

TarHeelBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Yukon, Oklahoma
    I just candled several of my turkey eggs - on some I can see growth - on the others it just looks like there is a big yolk floating around in the egg! Duds??? or late bloomers. I haven't done this before so I don't know what to think or where to go to get pics of turkey eggs. [​IMG] Hoping for "good eggs". Can anybody help me with this - you guys are my knowledge base [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  2. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Haven't candled turkey eggs yet, but I did do that with my brown eggs and quail. It took a VERY strong light to see development on the dark eggs. (I use a Streamlight Scorpion tactical flashlight with 42 lumens, and I can see everything) I would say that it is way too early to cull.

Dark room, bright light. Might need to wait a bit.

3. TarHeelBlue

TarHeelBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Yukon, Oklahoma
    I'm using a very bright Scuba light (not sure of the lumens - will check) Thanks for the input, don't think I will even think of culling until day 20 or so.

4. maureen9962

maureen9962 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2010
    I use a 9 bulb handheld LED minimag and can see very obvious veining and movement at 10 days. I go in a dark room to candle.

5. maureen9962

maureen9962 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2010
    I use a 9 bulb handheld LED minimag and can see very obvious veining and movement at 10 days. I go in a dark room to candle.

6. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    I don't cull a turkey egg untill 14 days just to be sure. Remember they develope slower than chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by