1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

candling turkey eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by urbanagrarian, Mar 24, 2008.

1. urbanagrarian

urbanagrarian Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Massachusetts
    When should I be able to see something in a turkey egg? I need room in the incubator and want to toss the infertile ones.

2. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Boy I wish I knew. I hope some one helps you. :|

3. chickenlover210

chickenlover210 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2008
    the Usa
    Sorry
    I have no Idea!

4. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    I sure wish someone would let me know. I candled eggs on day 2, to check for cracks (one was oozing) and definitely saw a dark spot in several eggs. Is this a good thing or a bad thing????????

5. wegotchickens

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    BTW, I googled looking for the answer to this question and there really aren't any good pictures of turkey eggs out there. These spots don't look like anything I've ever seen in a chicken egg. But maybe they do, it's just that the spots are too small to see?? My DD thinks it means the turkey eggs are scrambled, and we should throw them away...

But THIS thread came up when I googled. How cool is that? BYC threads are google-worthy.

6. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I have 18 turkey eggs in the bator. I write everything down. On day 6- I could see lots of veins. On day 11- I could see lots of veins, dark shadows and movement. I am on day 25- I can't see much, but have rocking of the eggs.

7. wegotchickens

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Thanks!
    Did you candle them any earlier than day 6?

8. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    Sorry. I didn't candle earlier than day 6. I guess I wanted to make sure before I tossed the infertile ones out. I didn't get many eggs this year. I wanted to be certain.[​IMG]

9. wegotchickens

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    OK. Guess I'll just have to have patience then.
    It isn't one of my stronger traits [​IMG]

I may go back and mark the ones with dots inside, and see if that is an indicator of fertility later on.... I was just hoping someone here knew already!

10. cgjsmith

cgjsmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    tennessee
    I can't usually tell with turkeys until wayinto the 2nd week. even then I leave them in there and have had some hatch from them. Crystal

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by