CANDLING- WHAT IS THIS??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by FreedomFarm13, Jan 13, 2017.

1. FreedomFarm13

FreedomFarm13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2015
    Arkansas
    Today is only Day 1, but I was candling to check on some cracked eggs, and I saw this in one of the uncracked ones. What is it? Is this a baby already developing, or is something wrong? Here it is:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I can't find a pic of anything similar anywhere, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. BBCHICKS123

BBCHICKS123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2016
    Wander land
    Nothing to worry about it is just the yoke
    I hatch over 150 chicks each year, l once candled an egg each day until it hatched that's what the first day looks like
    Did you say the egg is cracked

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    I agree nothing to worry about and it's just the yolk. Good luck with your hatch :fl

4. FreedomFarm13

Mar 20, 2015
    Arkansas
    Umm, no. It's not the yolk. It's a big black dot next to the yolk. It is a completely separate thing that moves independently from the yolk. I've seen plenty of yolks and that's not what this is.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  5. hailstorm97

hailstorm97 Just Hatched

Jan 14, 2017
    Midwest
    Looks fertile

6. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop

Possibly a blood or meat spot then?

1 person likes this.
  7. FreedomFarm13

Mar 20, 2015
    Arkansas
    What is that exactly, @Yorkshire Coop? Could it still be fertile with a spot like that?

8. BBCHICKS123

BBCHICKS123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2016
    Wander land
    Yes all fertile eggs that have been incubated for even a small amount of time will have that black dot , it is part of the yoke
    Good luck with the hatch how many are you hatching

- Bobi Sue

9. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Blood or meat spots are part of the oviduct that can sometimes come away when the yolk is released from the ovary. It then becomes encased in the egg as the egg forms. Sometimes you can see these blood or meat spots when you crack egg opens. I see no reason why your egg should not be fertile and develop as a normal embryo.

10. FreedomFarm13

Mar 20, 2015
    Arkansas
    Ok, another question. I candled it again last night, and it had GROWN. It was larger for sure, and I thought I saw a darker area within the dot that looked like it might have been fluttering, but it was hard to tell. Do you still think it's ok? I'm gonna candle again at five days and see if it gets some veins or not, but it's really making me anxious. I just want to know if it's okay or not. I am terrified of having eggs explode in the bator, so anything unusual makes me super nervous. What is it?! It's driving me crazy! lol. I'll put pics up of my candling last night later.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by