Candling-When Should I expect to see something?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hokankai, Apr 30, 2011.

1. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    I put some eggs under my broody about 50 hours ago. I candled them for the first time (this is my first time hatching) and saw nothing but a dark circle which I'm assuming is the yolk shadow. When should I be able to see something? My flashlight is an LED and is 80 lumens, so it's pretty dang bright. I did not see a blood island. When should I be able to see something for the first time?

2. clayb226

clayb226 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2011
    Missouri
    That dark circle means it is fertile, if it was totally clear, infertile. You should see some veining and an embryo in a couple days. I candled at 6 days, and just seen the veins starting to spider out.

3. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    The dark circle does not mean it is fertile. If you take an egg

that is not fertile, and candle it, you will still be able to see the shadow

of the yolk, which is what you are seeing. 50 hours is to early to candle.

I've candled pure white eggs at day 4, and still BARELY be able to see veins.

For light colored eggs you should candle on day 7. [​IMG] You will most

likely not see anything if you candle before then. For darker colored

eggs, you'll need to wait a few extra days.

-Scissor

Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  4. hokankai

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    Ok great! These eggs are blue so I'll wait a couple of days. It's SOOOO HARD to leave them and mama alone. I numbered them today and will check back tomorrow to take mama out to poop.

Thanks you guys! I had a nightmare last night about the eggs getting cracked and they all had baby rats inside of them (I have pet rats...and the dream was very strange, LOL) so I got super paranoid.

5. ScissorChick

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    Quote:It's very hard for me to leave my broody alone to [​IMG]

But...Patience is the key to a good hatch! [​IMG]

ScissorChick

6. clayb226

Mar 31, 2011
    Missouri
    Quote:On all mine, the infertile ones were clear, and all that had a dark circle showed significant signs of development by day 10. I am new to this, but I guess I should of stated that this was my experience.

7. ScissorChick

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    Quote:On all mine, the infertile ones were clear, and all that had a dark circle showed significant signs of development by day 10. I am new to this, but I guess I should of stated that this was my experience.

I really think it all depends on how bright the light we are candling with is. [​IMG]

My light is very bright, and I can see just about everything in the

egg. Including the shadow of the yolk. [​IMG]

8. clayb226

Mar 31, 2011
    Missouri
    Quote:I was using my kids small flashlight at that time, so that could of been an issue. I have since went and got a little better one for the occasion though.

9. hokankai

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    Mine is very bright too, and I did test some infertile ones and they had nothing too (or were significantly less distinct).

10. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I usually am able to tell on white eggs around day 5 and on darker eggs blues and browns around about day 7. Goodluck [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by