1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Candling your hatching eggs - When is it safe?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MichiganWoods, Oct 20, 2008.

1. MichiganWoods

MichiganWoods DD (Artistic Digital Diva)

Oct 6, 2008
    West Michigan
    When is it safe and how should it be done? Take one out quickly, candle it, place it back in and then go on to the next?

2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Think about it like this....... a mama hen will get off her nest for up to 30 mins a day to eat,drink,poop and her eggs will cool off. I open the bator candle all the eggs as fast as I can (no longer than 15ish mins) Most people candle on day 7 by then you should be able to see the little chickie inside, if you are un sure of any mark them and re candle on day 12-14 by then most of the egg should be dark and you should see a "blob" if any are clear by this point you can break open (could be stinky) and toss em. The best way is to go into a DARK DARK room with a good/bright flashlight !!!!

Also keep your nose open if you smell any stinky eggs in the bator figure out which one it is and get rid of it...... Good luck !!!!

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I candle mine on day 7, 14 and 18, in the evenings. Make sure your room is very dark and candle from the Big end down into the egg, you should see veining and the embryo moving. I carefully take each egg out candle and then place back where it was. Just take your time and don't be nervous. Hens get up off the nests for 20 minutes or more so candling takes about the same time.

Sometimes if mine are in the turner I just take the top off the bator and candle down into the egg without removing it from the turner. Goes quicker.

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    In addition to what Tuffoldhen said, be gentle. Do not turn the egg round and round while candling and do not turn it upside down to candle. It should always be lifted gently to the light source (big end up) and then returned to the incubator in the same motion. Twisting and turning eggs during candling can cause the vein network to tangle on the growing embryo. I know it's fun to see the chick wiggle, but it can be disastrous for the growing embryo.

My candling days are 7 or 10, then again on day 14 if I had questionable eggs..that's it. During a heavy incubation time, I only candle on day 14.

Jody

5. MichiganWoods

MichiganWoods DD (Artistic Digital Diva)

Oct 6, 2008
    West Michigan
    That all makes perfect sense. I think I'm going to have issues with mine though because they are not white. Medium browns to dark greens and all. I'll give it a go at day 7 to see what's going on.

6. UrbanMama

UrbanMama Gone Country....

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Quote:Oh man [​IMG] ...I've done this [​IMG] ...am I doomed? [​IMG] And they were my BO's from you Jody!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  7. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I'd say most of the time you'll probably be alright. It really depends on what you've done. I like to err on the side of caution and do as little unnatural movements as possible. I think the first 3 days are the most critical as well as the last few days.

Jody

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by