Candling

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jonezjollyfarm, Mar 29, 2016.

1. jonezjollyfarm

jonezjollyfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2015
    Illinois
    I have 12 eggs in my incubator day 11. Mix of white,brown, green, and blue. I can see perfectly in the white eggs, even saw the chicks moving. 2 brown eggs I see no development in. But the rest of the brown, blue, and green I can't tell. They are definitely dark but I can't tell what I'm looking at. What do I do? Just let them be and see of they hatch?

I never knew this would be so exciting. When I saw that little easter horn embryo move I nearly jumped out of my skin.

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    In the eggs I can't see into I look real close around the line where the air cell ends and I can usually make out a vein or two. But yes, if it doesn't smell or leak, leave it in and see what hatches.

3. jonezjollyfarm

jonezjollyfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2015
    Illinois
    Thanks. That's funny you say as long as they don't smell because I sure was sniffing eggs this morning. The eggs I don't think are developing I should just take out then? I read to wait till the 14th day

4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    If they are clear or bloodrings I remove those at day 10. After day 10 I don't pull any unless I am dead certain it's a goner. Anything questionable stays in until the end unless it smells or leaks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by