Candling?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mylilchix, Jan 31, 2009.

1. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a broody sitting on 2 eggs right now. I tired to candle the eggs this morning, but I'm not sure what I'm looking at. The first eggs I couldn't get a good view of anything. The 2nd egg seemed to have a big dark spot in it and then a clear area where the light shown through very well. the dark spot rotated as I moved the egg. This is only day 5 for the eggs, and the light I was using wasn't the greatest (I need to find a better one). Since I didn't have a great view, does the egg with the dark and light spot mean anything?

Thanks,
    Sonja

2. Farm Frenzy

Farm Frenzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    Sounds like you got yourself a baby!!!

3. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    Mini Maglites are the best thing for candling. You can dial the beam down to a small ray of light and it works great. It sound like you have a developing embryo there. The light area is the Air Cell and you will see that enlarge as the day go by. The dark part will get larger as well.

4. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

5. freshegg

freshegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    greenfield,ma
    posting so I can find this again

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Great link to very helpful advice and pictures, thanks for providing it. [​IMG]

7. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Great link to very helpful advice and pictures, thanks for providing it. [​IMG]

No prob. I also find it very useful!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by