Candling?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MotherHen75, Feb 12, 2019.

1. MotherHen75

MotherHen75 In the Brooder

Dec 18, 2018
    This is day 1, im extremely excited and sad at the same time. Our favorite 2 roosters were killed by the big brat thats a RIR. Were letting our Amerecauna sit on eggs, since shes the best broody we have, I think she will be a great mother, shes very loving and protective. So were trying to get an egg that one of our dead roosters could've possibly fertilized. Shes sitting on 4 eggs, how old do fertilized eggs have to be to see results in candling?

Chick-N-Fun likes this.
  2. Mad Chicken

Mad Chicken Chirping

Feb 12, 2019
    Tamworth, England
    5 days but more clear at 7

Chick-N-Fun likes this.
  3. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchi Wan Kenobi

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Depends. It's not how old the eggs are, it's how long they've been incubating :) If the eggs are very dark, it can be hard to see in them until longer into the development. If they are lighter, you can see life sooner. White eggs, for example, you can often see life in as early as three days. Brown eggs take longer. Generally speaking you can usually see development by day 5 or 7 of incubation.

4. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

Apr 9, 2016
    California's Redwood Coast
    Sorry for your loss. :(

How old are these roosters?

That RIR sounds tasty! :drool Attitude breeds forward.. Stew Pidasso's not welcome here.

If you are still collecting eggs from your deceased boys, they should all be set at the same time to avoid staggered hatching. :fl:jumpy:jumpy

Chick-N-Fun likes this.
  5. MotherHen75

Dec 18, 2018
    Well like i said, we found him this morning, his body was still warm. So all the eggs are fresh. Out hens are young and kind of know what their doing, but they seem to forget about the eggs, we might just end up incubating them. At one point 3 hens were trying to sit on 4 eggs, stacked on top of each other.

Our rooster was born in August, so hes young.

Also, if anyone who lives in the South Carolina area wants a RIR, you can have him. Heck cook him if you want, we don't want a seriously over protective rooster.

Chick-N-Fun and EggSighted4Life like this.
  6. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

Apr 9, 2016
    California's Redwood Coast
    They are often fertile for the next 10 days or so, so I go with about a weeks worth of eggs if I can... if you wanted to aim for more. :)

That may be too much nest activity for any single hen to be successful. Broody's occupying the favored nest is often a problem. :barnie

Good luck! :fl

Chick-N-Fun likes this.
  7. Shorty22366

Shorty22366 Songster

Jan 1, 2018
    Hobgood, North Carolina
    I has a little silkie hatch 15 babies. She was so loyal to her eggs.

Chick-N-Fun likes this.
  8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Meaning one bird is not setting on the eggs most the day and all night?
    I'm guessing your birds are not truly broody...so better get an incubator.

Chick-N-Fun likes this.
  9. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Candle on day 7 in darkness from the fat end of the egg. You should see a heart beat and lots of veins...

Chick-N-Fun likes this.
  10. MotherHen75

Dec 18, 2018
    It’s the weirdest thing, at first 3 hens wanted to sit on the clutch now none of them do. We’re gonna incubate them instead, do hens accept chicks that aren’t their own, or should i seperate them when they hatch

Chick-N-Fun likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: