Candling

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hobbychick, Mar 3, 2009.

1. hobbychick

hobbychick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2007
    Illinois
    OK I have been reading posts on candling for 45 minutes and have not yet figured out were you place the candler on the eggs to look in them. Please Help!!

2. pnp4kidz

pnp4kidz Chillin' With My Peeps

I tried putting the light below, and above, and on the side.
    the week old ones were easiest to see the little embryo when candled from the side.
    I was careful to move the light not turn the eggie over...
    I wasn't sure how much motion they could take...
    but those little embryo's were swimming around a LOT!

3. hobbychick

May 9, 2007
    Illinois
    I tried turning the egg slightly and I can see something moving in there but I am not sure what it is? One of them had some air bubbles in it is that bad?

4. hobbychick

May 9, 2007
    Illinois
    I candled some more of my eggs and I can see something inside but it moves if you shift the egg a little. Is that an embryo or something else? The eggs are brown so I really can not see veins at this point but I am going to candle again at 7 days and see if they look any different. [​IMG]

5. crzychicken

crzychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Thank you for the post I just candle mine didn't see anything like veins did see a round spot looked like the yolk she been sitting on them for 5 days how old are yours ?

6. hobbychick

May 9, 2007
    Illinois
    mine have been in the bator for 4 days. I candled a fresh egg I got today and i didn't see anything that looked like a yolk in it so I am really confused about what that means!!![​IMG]
    I am hoping that means it is an embryo but I don't know!![​IMG]

7. LilDucky85

LilDucky85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Northern, Illinois
    Did you buy the eggs, or were they from your Chickens? I didnt think anything laid eggs in this kind of weather. I'm from Illinois too (nw burbs). Yay us, and surviving the cold!

I candled my duck eggs at 3 days, and couldnt see anything. After doing a lot of research online and it all saying you could see by day 3 I thought they were dead. When I finally did see the veins I thought it was a blood ring, and opened the egg. Huge mistake!! When I opened it there was a little heartbeat. I nearly died. So sad. Since then I've learned patience is the best way to go.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by