Candling

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Keisha, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Keisha

Keisha Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Iowa
    So when I candle eggs what am i looking for thats good and whats bad? I want to make sure I got this right.. And any suggestions on decent handheld smaller candlers / flashlights to buy? Ive got a flashlight that kinda lets me see inside, but sometime id like to get a better one, when ever I get time to go and buy one..

Last edited: Apr 17, 2008
  2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I just use a good small flashlight from Wal-mart...make sure your room is very dark and I see thru my brown eggs just fine...

If you candle on day 7 you should see veining and the embryo of the chick floating inside the egg, by day 14 when you candle again if should be a large dark mass with lots more movement, and day 18 the chick should take up most of the egg except the air cell at the top..

I always candle from the top down into the egg....

Clears mean the egg has not developed, bloodrings mean it started and grew bacteria, some start to develop and just quit...Hope this helped...

3. Keisha

Apr 27, 2007
    Iowa
    So if i see any eggs at say Day 7 with a circle , should I toss them?
    Is there a certain brightness of a flashlight that I should look for?

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    When you candle your eggs on day 7 thats when you can see everything for the first time really well if your a novice at candling, if you question an eggs development I always put a ? mark on the egg and leave it til day 14, if nothing more has developed I toss it then...

A circle of blood would mean a bloodring has occurred...

I just have a small (but not cheap) mag. lite from Wal-mart...

5. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    [​IMG] Let me tell you what I did, I took a floor lamp and put one of the bulbs in it that’s suppose to save you money. You know the one’s that go around in a circle. Got my oatmeal box took the oatmeal out of it, put a hole in the bottom, oval, and put that over the bulb. It works great, I can see through brown eggs. You can do a search and look up candling. You can find a lot there. [​IMG] Good luck.

6. Keisha

Apr 27, 2007
    Iowa
    Quote:Ohh Ill have to try that, im pretty sure ive got alot of those lights floating around this place somewhere.. My grandfather supplies the whole family with them.. So we all have a surplus of them.

7. RoostersCrow

RoostersCrow Chillin' With My Peeps

This site has some pretty nice pictures.

http://shilala.homestead.com/candling.html

It's not always as easy a call as some of the guides might suggest. Tuffoldhens suggestion sounds topnotch to me.

Thanks Tuffoldhen. I always put the suspects back for a later look but I hadn't been marking them.

8. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Quote:Ohh Ill have to try that, im pretty sure ive got alot of those lights floating around this place somewhere.. My grandfather supplies the whole family with them.. So we all have a surplus of them.

Let me know if you try it.

9. Keisha

Apr 27, 2007
    Iowa
    Let me know if you try it.

Turns out my neighbor came over yesterday night and needed some lightbulbs and the stores were closed, so these guys gave him ours.. But Ill definitly have to try your idea.

This site has some pretty nice pictures.

http://shilala.homestead.com/candling.html

It's not always as easy a call as some of the guides might suggest. Tuffoldhens suggestion sounds topnotch to me.

Thanks Tuffoldhen. I always put the suspects back for a later look but I hadn't been marking them.

I actually just came across that site, the pictures were very helpful.

Ok so I just used my flashlight and candled my 31 eggs I have in the bator, 30 of them are Top Hat breeds, and the other one was a call duck egg that my ducks happened to lay on the same day I put the other eggs in, so I just put it in with them. It had a bloodring so I threw that one. Out of the other 30 , 28 of t hem look like they were developing, most of them having veins, and the other two were questionable.

So thanks everyone!​

10. RoostersCrow

RoostersCrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds like a promising start! Good luck !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by