Candling

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by branston, Dec 18, 2011.

1. branston

branston Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Virginia
    My Silkie Big Mama has been sat on 7 eggs. One chick hatched successfully on the 14th but nothing else has happened. She is still sitting on the eggs and taking care of the one chick. Today, I decided to candle the eggs which I did using black construction paper rolled into a cone shape leaving an inch diameter to sit the egg on. I then put the cone on top of my flash light. I've never done this before so it was pretty interesting. One of the eggs definitely looks empty, however the other five all have a black mass covering a third of the egg. Are these chicks likely to hatch? The eggs are from different Silkie hens that kept popping them under the broody.

2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    I would leave them under your broody.

Also, THIS THREAD may help you as well.

[​IMG]

3. branston

branston Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Virginia
    Oh wow! Thanks so much for the link.....that is quite fascinating and amazing!! Don't you just love life!!!

I took 3 eggs at a time to candle and did it all as fast as I could. Big Mama really doesn't seem to mind me too much, I guess because she knows I'll bring fresh food and water every morning for her and her chick. I so hope the rest of the eggs will hatch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by