Candling

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by girls and guineas, Dec 17, 2012.

1. girls and guineas

girls and guineas Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2011
    northern GA
    Can you candle an egg with a flashlight? I tried, but couldn't see thru the shell! Also, it seems like a bright light wouldn't be good for the developing chick. Does it do any harm to the chick??

2. TaylorHobbyFarms

TaylorHobbyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    When we first started, we made a candler by cutting a hole in one side of a Pringle's can and putting a lightbulb on one end and the egg on the other. It worked great. Maybe a bright flashlight would work the same. Make sure the room is very dark too at the time you candle. I don't think candling a couple times should do any harm to the developing chick. We candle twice for each egg, once at day 10 and once at day 18.

3. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    I've used a flashlight with no problems.
    Make sure the room is dark.
    I also only candle on day 10 and 18.

4. Keric

Keric Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2012
    Maine
    We use one of those really bright LED flashlights.It works great. If I feel like candling a couple during the day I just go in my closet and shut the door. I'm candling all the time. I have 10 days left and every couple days I take a few and candle them.

We've always used the LED flashlight and haven't had any problems.

5. girls and guineas

Nov 30, 2011
    northern GA
    Thanks for all your info! Not sure if any of the 7 eggs are good--hoping for a couple at least to hatch successfully. Mama hen has been so good and patient setting!! Maybe will try candling again! The eggs are at 10 and 14 days. I didn't know you should put all the eggs under the hen at the same time!! So, I don't think they will all hatch about the same day! It's the first time I've tried letting a hen set, so I don't exactly know what I'm doing!!!

6. girls and guineas

Nov 30, 2011
    northern GA
    Do you have to be careful about turning the egg when you handle it?? Is it okay if you accidently put the egg back under the hen upside down??

7. stevetone

stevetone Chicken Advocate

Use reasonable care in handling. No shaking [​IMG]

The hen will make any necessary position adjustments. They are very good at "incubating."

8. girls and guineas

Nov 30, 2011
    northern GA
    Mama did a GREAT JOB and hatched out all 7 eggs!!! They were all good eggs!!! Mama was pecking at 1 little chick?? It is healthy, and the only thing I can figure out, is that it is a darker color than the others!! That's funny, cause it's dark like her!!! Anyway, I have it and another chick (for a buddy) in a separate container and they are doing well!!

9. TweetyNPetey

TweetyNPetey Chillin' With My Peeps

Candling won't do any harm to the chicks. I candle at day 7, 14, and 19. I should be getting a shipment of Serama eggs soon. I hope they hatch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by