1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Candling

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ktkid, Jan 3, 2013.

1. ktkid

ktkid Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2013
    This is my first time hatching out eggs, I put six in the incubator for the fist go, I candled the white egg on the third day and it was looking really good, I candled the same egg on the fourth day and it looked completely different. Does anybody know why it would look different, I am a little worried that it is dying. The temperature went up to 103, it might have been on 103 for a good 10 hours or so,So I am worried that it got to hot and killed the embryo, any comments are much appreciated, Thanks for Looking!
    [​IMG]
    Third Day
    [​IMG]
    Third Day
    [​IMG]
    Fourth Day
    [​IMG]
    Fourth Day

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  2. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    Hmmm. It does look different. I still see veining, so it appears to still be alive. But, it wouldn't hurt to try candling it again tomorrow and see how it looks then. As long as you see veins, it's alive. If those veins disappear and starts looking clear, that's bad.

3. ktkid

ktkid Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2013
    Thank you Sphinx thats what I was planning on doing, I am just worried it got to hot for the pour thing.

4. Great pics!

5. Great pics!

6. tashtash

tashtash Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2012
    Perth Western Australia
    What is the incubator meant to be set on I have mine set to 38'

7. 38°??

8. maidenwolfx80

maidenwolfx80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    Mine has gone as high as 106 when I first started. It wasnt that high to long but still thats high. It still flucuates. I have things to tweak before next hatch. Mine are in lockdown starting today. Your eggs look good and alive.

9. ktkid

ktkid Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2013
    thanks for all your reply's I will be candling them everyday to see if there are any changes, i sure hope they didn't get to hot. But if they did, I can just start over. I have Fertile eggs all the time, all of your answers have been great!

10. ktkid

ktkid Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2013
    To Tashtash, your incubator should be set to 99 to 100 degrees. I think you are telling me that yours is on 38 degrees celsius, and 38 degrees in celsius is 100.4 in fahrenheit so you are just fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by