Candling

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kwynn's birds Alaska, Aug 8, 2008.

1. kwynn's birds Alaska

kwynn's birds Alaska Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    Kenai, Alaska
    I'm candling my first set of eggs, Chicken, bantams, and quail...What exactly am I looking for?[​IMG]

2. MarylandChick

MarylandChick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2007
    A.A. County MD
    When I candeled my eggs I had two that had a dark blob moving, 1 I saw veins in the egg and another which just seemed dark on one side so I put those 4 back under then hen. Then another which was a dark blue shell and I saw nothing bu thought I'd give it a few more days and then the last I saw nothing inside so I threw it away only to discover a tiny dine sized bloody baby inside [​IMG]. Now today I have 1 baby who has hatched and I don't know about the rest yet.

3. MarylandChick

MarylandChick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2007
    A.A. County MD
    check out the candeling videos on YouTube

4. kwynn's birds Alaska

Aug 6, 2008
    Kenai, Alaska
    I just did it...I had all but 2 that had veins, and little dark spots that rocked back and forth when I tipped the egg.

I'm guessing thoes are good eggs [​IMG]

Except the Quail eggs...It's really hard to see in those.

I am so excited:D...And it's so hard to wait to put more in the bator...my hatch dates now are right in line with moose hunting season, and well, our hands are going to be full.

do the 2 that had nothing in them have to be thrown away? They have only been in there a week.

5. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    I'd probably hold off a few more days to be safe as long as the shells are still in good condition. It never hurts to be a bit cautious. I don't think I threw any of my eggs out until they were two weeks old, just in case I wasn't seeing everything.

6. kwynn's birds Alaska

Aug 6, 2008
    Kenai, Alaska
    Am I supposed to be able to see inside Coturnix quail eggs? They been in there week too.

7. Julie's Silkies

Julie's Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2008
    Gloucester, Virginia
    Did my first candling night too, A friend and I candled some of my RIR and silkies last night. you can see the chick and heart beat in one of the silkie eggs, It was so cool.

There are a few that have a red red around the it, do you think that is a good or bad egg.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2008
  8. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    kwynn's birds Alaska :

Am I supposed to be able to see inside Coturnix quail eggs? They been in there week too.

I candled my coturnix and was able to see in. I use a pen LED light [​IMG]

JUST be in A VERRRRYYY DARRRK ROOOM LOL​

9. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Julie's Silkies :

Did my first candling night too, A friend and I candled some of my RIR and silkies last night. you can see the chick and heart beat in one of the silkie eggs, It was so cool.

There are a few that have a red red around the it, do you think that is a good or bad egg.

the red line, i think i read those could be eggs that died after a bit but DO NOT hold me too that!!!

By the way, your lionheads are adorable. [​IMG] By best friend breeds really awesome quality ones (Ever after rabbitry).​

10. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by