Candy the assisted hatch

Silkiesaz

🐓 Silkie Queen 🐓
8 Years
Mar 18, 2016
Somewhere Over the Rainbow
I am starting this thread for my chick Candy. She was an assisted hatch. Her siblings had hatched multiple hours before her and while they were learning to eat and drink she was stuck. She sat in that egg for probably, 24 hours. When I checked on her I discovered some problems. Her foot was over her beak, she couldn't move. The poor thing was so tired from trying to hatch. I peeled away egg shell until she could push her way out. Her siblings Ghost and Blossom were her cheerleaders. As she fought her way out they chirped at her from the brooder. I believe they are the reason she joined us in the world. Candy got her first adult feathers today and she is turning a week old tomorrow. I'm so proud of her and how she pulled through. Here are some pictures of her. 1000001035.jpg
1000001036.jpg 20221102_190311.jpg 20221104_162720.jpg 20221104_162728.jpg 20221104_162753.jpg

I took some measurements to see how much she grows. She was 5 inches tall! Taller than I thought she was. Her sister Ghost was 5 inches as well. Blossom was 6 1/2 inches! Nutmeg is their older sister, she is almost a week older, her height was 7 1/2 inches.

Candy is growing fast. Not quite as big as her siblings but she is catching up! She spends most of her time sleeping but she is getting a bigger brooder soon so she will have more space to run now that she is older.

They ended up having to stay in their brooder. But they are all growing fast! Candy has caught up and out grown her sister Ghost and has almost reached Blossom's size!

I haven't updated in a while but Candy is very big now! She is the same size as her sisters now but has some slightly curled toes. She has a little black line on her beak that looks like a mustache. She will be able to go in with my adult chickens once the weather warms up!

Back
Top Bottom