Canesten (Clotrimazole 2%) for how many days to treat yeast infection?

Hi folks, I have a two year hen named Butchie with persistent loose stool and a crustry cheesy smelling back end. She's been dewormed, had ACV in the water, electrolytes and didn't improve. I gave her Nystatin for seven days which helped her get her appetite back but no improvement on the diarrhea. Her vent area is also swollen, but not hard.

Yesterday I got some of the stronger version of Canesten (Clotrimazole 2%). The instructions -- for women's vaginal infections -- say once a day for 3 days only.

Hmm..anyone have a good result with Canesten 2%? How long did you dose and how many times per day?

Thank you!

Hi, thanks. Yes I saw that but wasn't sure if it just referred to the Micozanale...

Butchie had a rough day today. Lots of watery poop, not much appetite, puffed up and forlorn looking. Staring into space, not moving much. Sigh.

I guess anything is possible, but could she have like a low grade coccidiosis bloom going on? I always thought cocci was a quick killer. Butchie has been showing these symptoms on and off for almost 3 months. And no other hen is showing these symptoms.

Cocci is pretty much the only thing I haven't tried treating. But I did just read that yeast infections make hens more susceptible to cocci protozoa and vice versa.

I haven't tried treating cocci because she was born here and raised by the hen that sat on her egg. So she should be immune. But we do have farm helpers that come in a few days a week. Everyone here has chickens, I suppose they could have brought in another strain...

I don't know, I feel so sad and helpless. And sure they could be some underlying organ problem, but I want to do what I can.

I always keep Amprolium on hand. Never had to use it. Worth a try?

Here you go:)

""About half an inch of cream and give orally twice a day for seven days. Do not stop treatment before the full seven days are completed or the yeast may return.""
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

She may be having some reproductive issues as well, hard to know.
You can try the Amprolium to see if it makes any difference. Often when a bird is not well, they can be more susceptible to being overtaken by parasites.

Hi,

I'll give anything a try at this point. Yesterday she took a turn for the worse. Ate some breakfast, but nothing after that and refuses all food and water today. In the afternoon, her comb started to droop (for the first time since this all started). Pooping greenish yellow liquid with white stringy/slimy stuff in it. I'm syringing fluids into her little by little with Amprolium.

To add to her misery, she's molting and pushing out big primary type feathers on her back and wings.

Last night her crop was large and watery, but this morning it was completely empty. She voided a lot of fluid during the night with very little solids. She just wants to be alone today, I'm keeping her indoors with water and dampened feed nearby.

When my partner went looking for acidified copper sulphate, the person at the supply store asked him what it was for so he said a chicken with diarrhea. They sold him a packet of Sulfamethazine, which I think is one of the most powerful antibiotics out there.

I started trying to treat her two months ago with oxytetracycline, injected subcutaneously for 4 days. It didn't help. Another antibiotic could just make it worse I think, but I don't know. No one does. We're all trying. Thanks for your responses.

Yes, that article is very good too, I have it in my signature:)

I'm sorry she's not doing well. Molting can make things worse.

If you chose to give the Sulfa drug, it should help with Coccidiosis as well.

Yes, that article is very good too, I have it in my signature:)

I'm sorry she's not doing well. Molting can make things worse.

If you chose to give the Sulfa drug, it should help with Coccidiosis as well.
Yes, it's great to find so much good information on this forum and people who really care about their birds. 💚

After looking like she was knocking on death's door in the morning,
IMG_20221016_145138.jpg
yesterday afternoon she perked up quite a bit. Came outside, sunbathed, joined the flock to peck around. Her tail came up and she wasn't hunched over. I actually spoon fed her the way you would feed a child. When I moved the mashed egg yolk with probiotic toward her head, she pecked at it and ate. It took ten minutes, but she ate about two tablespoons of food that way and clearly felt better afterwards.

Crop is emptying. Lower vent area still swollen. Doesn't look like ascites, but I've never had an ascites chick so I don't really know. The inflammation is more located near the cloaca area.

Butchie might turn it around, we'll see. But she is very thin from all the diarrhea and not absorbing nutrients. Her body is probably breaking down muscle to get protein to make feathers.

I'm only giving her mashed egg and dampened chick starter feed for protein. Are there any other nutrient dense foods that might help her feel stronger? Oatmeal? Mashed sweet potato maybe?

Yes, she's such a cutie. Today she was better too. Still weak and thin, but more alert, moving.

While bathing her today I found what seems to be a hard mass on the left side of vent area, very close to the leg. So could be a tumor, oviduct problem -- and I'm prepared for the worst...

But I'm holding out some hope for an intestinal blockage and maybe hernia from straining. Because after a short Epsom salt soak, the mass broke up a little and moved. And for the first time today she pooped some solids that looks like there's parasites involved: a big wad of slimy stuff with a clot of blood. She's on day 2 of Amprolium so maybe hopefully is shedding the cocci. If she continues to improve and makes it for the next few days, after 5 days of Amprolium, I'll deworm her again. If this thing is intestinal and not reproductive, there's hope is how I see this. So I'm going to do what I can.

Back
Top Bottom