Canibalism?! Nope, Just me Being Paranoid

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jnntefend, Mar 11, 2013.

1. jnntefend

jnntefend Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2013
    East Texas
    I am sort of paranoid about cannibalism, so I do everything I can to prevent it, but I still get nervous when I see the chicks doing their normal chick behaviors of pecking at each other softly and such. Last night, I looked in on my RIR peeps, and saw a spot of red at the top crease of one of their wings, and entered panic mode. As I looked closer, I realized that this was on several of the chicks. I Flipped on all the lights, reached in and grabbed one of the chicks (gently, of course) and looked at it closely before realizing....

...Oh, these are Rhode Island REDS, and their red pinfeathers are coming in. Silly me!

2. Moonkit

Moonkit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Richardson, Texas
    I had a similar experience back when I had my first few chicks.. They were grown enough to have gotten their primaries in but were still covered in hatching fluff. One balmy afternoon, my parents told me they were going to take them outside for some play time in the grass and sun. Sure, no problem.. I had to clean the parrot cages, but would be out soon. Half way through cleaning the parrot cages.. my mom comes in panicing, "Three of the chicks are laying down and won't get up and the fourth is having siezures!"

My heart leaps into my throat and I rush outside, 1001 horrible things are going through my mind as I try to think on what it could possibly be... all four were active just that morning.. eating, drinking, playing, pooping firm green poos.. what could possibly have gone wrong in 10 minutes? Mareks? Newcastle? Cocci? Were they grabbed to hard and had a spinal injury!?

Then I reach where the chicks are and calm down, "Mom.. those three are sunbathing and the fourth is dustbathing in the grass." (the fourth did eventually figure out that dirt works a lot better for dust bathing)

3. jnntefend

jnntefend Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2013
    East Texas
    LOL. That is great! They do look sick or dead sometimes, when they sleep.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by